Old October 4th 06, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Earl Purple Earl Purple is offline

Default Congestion charge questions

Colum Mylod wrote:
The extension will include zone 2 so your fears of an extension too
far are well grounded. The west boundary does line up with restricted
access (Harrow Road to Ladbroke Gr, Wood Lane onto North Pole Road) so
making it easy to monitor with few "5-eyed monsters". A proposed
boundary near LadbrokeGr tube station would have been more difficult.

Does the route then follow Barlby Road (not even a classified road) or
does it head along the B412 (St Quintin Avenue, St Marks Road and
Cambridge Gardens) up to Ladbroke Grove. Most of these are fairly
narrow residential streets.

Wood/Scrubs Lane to Harrow Road are hell at the moment in the morning
peak and will remain uncharged; the purpose here just cannot be
"congestion" but Ken has fessed to it being a wallet grab. His evil
brain has postulated widening to the Circulars...

The thing is that I think many people in London don't object to the
congestion charge in the centre so much because there is fairly good
public transport to the centre - after all the underground lines do all
go to the centre of London.

The only sensible way to cure the congestion problem is better pooling
schemes. I would also like to see another orbital rail route connecting
all the lines in the outer zones. I'm sure such a line would be well
used.

Oh don't worry, your local shops will be wiped out but you'll have
uncharged access to BrentX and the "Westfield" aka White City complex.
So that's all right then. And Oxford Street can decline to cater for
tourists, tram or no tram.

Well it's fine, they can just make every road in London private flats
and have no facilities. More and more facilities are being replaced
with private flats anyway. Hardly surprising then that to access
facilities you can no longer find any in walking distance and have to
get into your car...