Old March 11th 08, 02:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_2_] Richard J.[_2_] is offline

Default oyster overdraft?

Mr Thant wrote:
On 11 Mar, 11:50, MarkVarley - MVP
wrote:
Cashflow is a bit tight right now and our oysters usually auto-topup
weekly with £20, the last one failed but I've just been able to clear
it however it's quite possible some future ones will fail until we
get back on track (no pun intended).

What happens when an auto top-up fails? The credit must have already
happened, so do they have a way of withdrawing it?

They block your use of the card if you don't sort out the failed payment
within 3 days. This happened to me in 2006 when an auto top-up happened the
day after the nominated credit card was blocked by the card issuer because
they thought it might have ben cloned. I received this mail from TfL
(actually from Keith Prowse on their behalf):

"The cash balance on your Oyster card number nnnnnnnnnnnn fell below
GBP5.00. It was topped up with GBP20.00 at Hyde Park Corner station on
11/07/2006.

Unfortunately we were unable to charge your credit or debit card ending in
xxxx for this amount.

You need to pay the outstanding balance now against top-up number
yyyyyyyyyy. Please go to www.tfl.gov.uk/oyster and select 'Oyster online
shop' from the left hand menu to log in. Then follow the screen prompts to
manage your failed payment. Alternatively call our Oyster Helpline on 0845
330 9876 to arrange payment.

If you do not make this payment within 3 days your Oyster card will be
stopped."

--
Richard J.