Old March 11th 08, 07:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MarkVarley - MVP MarkVarley - MVP is offline

Default oyster overdraft?

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:28:34 +0100, "tim \(not at home\)"
wrote this gibberish:

wrote in message
On Mar 11, 11:50 am, MarkVarley - MVP
wrote:
I vaguely recall reading somewhere about PAYG oyster cards not
freaking out if you overspend, like an overdraft kind of setup, is my
shakey memory correct?

Cashflow is a bit tight right now and our oysters usually auto-topup
weekly with £20, the last one failed but I've just been able to clear
it however it's quite possible some future ones will fail until we get
back on track (no pun intended).

Can anyone who has their head around PAYG oysters and their systems
let me know how things stand for travelling with less than zero credit
and anything else relevant to our situation?

Took a month off working due to illness and things have gone to the
perverbial wall.

You can go overdrawn if your journey cost is greater than the balance
on the card. But you can't enter a station if your balance is less
than the minimum fare from that station.

If you have a season ticket it won't let you enter the barriers if
your balance is negative even if you are only making a journey on the
season ticket. (I'm not quite sure what the situation would be if you
make a journey starting at an ungated station where you don't have to
touch in if you've got a season ticket.)

If you're only using PAYG then it's quite hard to go more overdrawn
than the deposit you paid to get the card.

unless you got a free card

tim

Thats a fair and obvious point, the purpose of the deposit surely.

Thanks all for the replies, as long as there is enough on the card or
overdraft or some such that we can get back from a job that ought to
be enough, last thing we want is to be on the opposite side of london
at 2am in the rain after a long day with a dud card and no cash.

--
Mark.
www.MarkVarleyPhoto.co.uk