Old June 18th 09, 11:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Oyster Card - Balance Check

On Jun 18, 12:21*pm, Ben Birkner wrote:

On 18 Jun., 13:03, Mizter T wrote:

On Jun 18, 11:47*am, Ben Birkner wrote:
[...]
Also, when you finish a journey on the Underground then both the fare
paid for that journey and your remaining balance flashes up on the
display of the gate - though how easy this is to see really depends on
whether the gate is an older or newer model, and anyway you do need to
know what to look for. Also when boarding a bus the display shows the
remaining balance - but again you need to know what to look for, and
you've got to be quick.

Thanks, Mizter T. I frankly have never noticed any displays at gates
or in buses when using my Oyster Card. But this might be due to
the hurry you're usually in when using TfL. I will be more carefull
the next time.

The LCD displays on the bus ticket machines are pretty hard to read
and easy to miss too (especially when there's people behind you) -
though the LCD displays on the validators on bendy buses near the
middle and rear doors are easy to see. The display on the old type of
gates that have been retrofitted with Oyster pads is very hard to see
too (again especially if there's someone behind you) - there's a tiny
LCD display next to the Oyster pad itself. On the newer models of
gates the numbers flash up on the display next to the green arrow.