Old September 25th 12, 09:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Dalston Junct – Gatwick Airport

Got to fly from Gatwick next week and rather than take the car to the
airport as usual I see I can get the ELL to New Cross Gate and change
and get there in about an hour. Question is on fares – National Rail is
showing a chapest fare of £19.60 from Dalston but if I got to say
Farringdon the fare is just £9.90. Is it possible/best to use Oyster to
New Cross Gate and buy a single from there?

E.

Old September 25th 12, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message 2012092509215558199-nospam@nospamcom, at 09:21:55 on Tue,
25 Sep 2012, eastender remarked:
Got to fly from Gatwick next week and rather than take the car to the
airport as usual I see I can get the ELL to New Cross Gate and change
and get there in about an hour. Question is on fares – National Rail
is showing a chapest fare of £19.60 from Dalston but if I got to say
Farringdon the fare is just £9.90. Is it possible/best to use Oyster
to New Cross Gate and buy a single from there?

The issue here is that the £19.60 fare is "Any Permitted" (including
tube transfers), but the £9.90 one is "Not Underground" (so in effect
"FCC only"-lite). If you can accept that restriction, then by all means
split the fare at Farringdon.
Old September 25th 12, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2012-09-25 09:38:33 +0000, Roland Perry said:

The issue here is that the £19.60 fare is "Any Permitted" (including
tube transfers), but the £9.90 one is "Not Underground" (so in effect
"FCC only"-lite). If you can accept that restriction, then by all means
split the fare at Farringdon.

Ah I see - so it's not possible to buy a cheaper ticket from DJ? Guess
I'll just go to New Cross Gate and buy a single there - at that point
it's only £8.60 - a bargain. Plus £2 to New Cross Gate of course.

E.
Old September 25th 12, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message 201209251223357150-nospam@nospamcom, at 12:23:35 on Tue, 25
Sep 2012, eastender remarked:

The issue here is that the £19.60 fare is "Any Permitted" (including
tube transfers), but the £9.90 one is "Not Underground" (so in effect
"FCC only"-lite). If you can accept that restriction, then by all means
split the fare at Farringdon.

Ah I see - so it's not possible to buy a cheaper ticket from DJ?

You can't buy an "FCC only" ticket from DJ, because FCC doesn't serve
it. (Ditto Southern-only).

Guess I'll just go to New Cross Gate and buy a single there - at that
point it's only £8.60 - a bargain.

One-TOC fares on that route are cheap, I agree. Privatisation working
well for a change. In this case it'll be "Southern Only" from New Cross
Gate.

Plus £2 to New Cross Gate of course

Old September 26th 12, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Guess I'll just go to New Cross Gate and buy a single there - at that
point it's only £8.60 - a bargain.

One-TOC fares on that route are cheap, I agree. Privatisation working
well for a change. In this case it'll be "Southern Only" from New
Cross Gate.

Plus £2 to New Cross Gate of course

If we are looking outside the peak periods then I think the cost could
be shaved a bit further at the price of a change at East Croydon: Oyster
to East Croydon (£2.80) from where it's £4.90 to Gatwick - total £7.70.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old September 26th 12, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2012-09-26 07:52:28 +0000, Robin said:

If we are looking outside the peak periods then I think the cost could
be shaved a bit further at the price of a change at East Croydon:
Oyster to East Croydon (£2.80) from where it's £4.90 to Gatwick - total
£7.70.

Ah - I've not had the pleasure of Croydon for a while. The ELL goes to
West Croydon though - is that near East Croydon? But wait a minute -
I've just looked at the route map and the stop before – Norwood
Junction – is shown as an interchange to Gatwick. But that's £8.20. Big
drop if I can get to EC – odd that the fare drops so much in one stop.

The offpeak Oyster fare to Croydon is actually £2.90. To Norwood it's
£2.60, so £10.80 total from the latter, which is 20p more than from New
Cross Gate.

E.

Old September 26th 12, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Ah - I've not had the pleasure of Croydon for a while. The ELL goes to
West Croydon though - is that near East Croydon?

Sorry, I should have said "at the price of an *extra* change..." as I
had in mind you changing at New Cross Gate and then again at E Croydon.
But if you buy your ticket from there to Gatwick in advance online and
collect it before you travel I think you only need touch out with your
Oyster and then board the next train. I can't say if it is practicable
to aim to reboard the *same* train as I've only used that route with a
Freedom Pass

But wait a minute -
I've just looked at the route map and the stop before - Norwood
Junction - is shown as an interchange to Gatwick. But that's £8.20.
Big drop if I can get to EC - odd that the fare drops so much in one
stop.
The offpeak Oyster fare to Croydon is actually £2.90.

Yep for West Croydon. East is£2.80.

Old September 26th 12, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2012-09-26 08:48:11 +0000, Robin said:

Sorry, I should have said "at the price of an *extra* change..." as I
had in mind you changing at New Cross Gate and then again at E Croydon.
But if you buy your ticket from there to Gatwick in advance online and
collect it before you travel I think you only need touch out with your
Oyster and then board the next train. I can't say if it is practicable
to aim to reboard the *same* train as I've only used that route with a
Freedom Pass

Ah I see. Think I'll just do the one change at NCG. As my expenses are
being paid anyway...

The good thing though is that this route really opens up Gatwick as a
fast access airport for us as my wife mentioned to me this morning -
she couldn't believe we can now get there with minmium fuss in about an
hour.

E.

Old September 26th 12, 03:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message 201209251223357150-nospam@nospamcom, at 12:23:35 on Tue, 25
Sep 2012, eastender remarked:

The issue here is that the £19.60 fare is "Any Permitted" (including tube
transfers), but the £9.90 one is "Not Underground" (so in effect "FCC
only"-lite). If you can accept that restriction, then by all means split
the fare at Farringdon.

Ah I see - so it's not possible to buy a cheaper ticket from DJ?

I suggest this is primarily down to the previously discussed issue whereby
Shoreditch HS is stuck in zone 1, as agreed by TfL and DfT. Therefore there
cannot be a 'not London' through fare to/from the ELL comparable with
those that exist on the WLL.

The very similar 'LO+SN' fare from Willesden Jn to Gatwick is £11.50 for
instance, so the fact that the journey requires the two TOCs is presumably
not the main reason.

Paul S

Old September 26th 12, 04:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2012-09-26 14:26:25 +0000, Paul Scott said:

I suggest this is primarily down to the previously discussed issue whereby
Shoreditch HS is stuck in zone 1, as agreed by TfL and DfT.

Well I just checked the fare from Wapping (Z2) to Gatwick and that's
£19.60. But cross the river to Rotherhithe and it's down to £8.60.

Maybe it's a south of the river thing.

E.