Old February 6th 04, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Watford Junction Travelcard question

My wife's travelling from Wandsworth to Watford Junction tomorrow, so
I looked at the price of Travelcards for her. Can somebody tell me if
what I've come up with is really true?

* Price of an All-Zones Travelcard: £5.40.
* Price of a Travelcard from Watford Junction: £9.80.
* Therefore, price of a CDR from Boundary Zone 6 to Watford Junction:
£4.40.

But...

* Price of a CDR from Hatch End to Watford Junction: £2.60.
* Price of a CDR from Harrow and Wealdstone to Watford Junction:
£3.00.

I guess my question is: why would anybody buy a Watford Junction
Travelcard or a BZ6-WJ fare? Do I have this wrong somehow?

Old February 6th 04, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Alistair Bell" wrote in message
m...
My wife's travelling from Wandsworth to Watford Junction tomorrow, so
I looked at the price of Travelcards for her. Can somebody tell me if
what I've come up with is really true?

* Price of an All-Zones Travelcard: £5.40.
* Price of a Travelcard from Watford Junction: £9.80.
* Therefore, price of a CDR from Boundary Zone 6 to Watford Junction:
£4.40.

But...

* Price of a CDR from Hatch End to Watford Junction: £2.60.
* Price of a CDR from Harrow and Wealdstone to Watford Junction:
£3.00.

I guess my question is: why would anybody buy a Watford Junction
Travelcard or a BZ6-WJ fare? Do I have this wrong somehow?

The Watford Junction travelcard is valid on the fast Silverlink services
non-stop to Euston while if you buy a return to Hatch End you will have to
travel on a service that stops there.

Peter Smyth

Old February 6th 04, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Peter Smyth wrote:

The Watford Junction travelcard is valid on the fast Silverlink services
non-stop to Euston while if you buy a return to Hatch End you will have to
travel on a service that stops there.

Are you sure about that? I thought the usual rules concerning multiple
tickets covering a single journey (ie the train must stop at the station
where you change tickets) did not apply to the London zonal system, and
therefore 'fast' trains could be used. Or does this easement only apply to
zonal *season* tickets (ie not one day travelcards etc)?

Chris

Old February 6th 04, 11:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Chris Read wrote:
Peter Smyth wrote:

The Watford Junction travelcard is valid on the fast Silverlink
services non-stop to Euston while if you buy a return to Hatch End
you will have to travel on a service that stops there.

Are you sure about that? I thought the usual rules concerning multiple
tickets covering a single journey (ie the train must stop at the
station where you change tickets) did not apply to the London zonal
system, and therefore 'fast' trains could be used. Or does this
easement only apply to zonal *season* tickets (ie not one day
travelcards etc)?

I understood that the there was no requirement for your train to stop at
(in this case) Hatch End, but that you had to use a train run by a TOC,
some of whose trains served that station. Thus any Silverlink train would
do, but not Virgin.

--
Richard J.

Old February 7th 04, 01:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Chris Read" wrote in message ...
Peter Smyth wrote:

The Watford Junction travelcard is valid on the fast Silverlink services
non-stop to Euston while if you buy a return to Hatch End you will have to
travel on a service that stops there.

Are you sure about that? I thought the usual rules concerning multiple
tickets covering a single journey (ie the train must stop at the station
where you change tickets) did not apply to the London zonal system, and
therefore 'fast' trains could be used. Or does this easement only apply to
zonal *season* tickets (ie not one day travelcards etc)?

When switching between two tickets you must travel on a train that
stops at the changeover station unless one of the tickets is a season
ticket OR both tickets are zonal tickets. A zonal ticket is one which
includes a zone boundary in some way - either for travel within a zone
or by being for travel from a zone boundary to some other point. One
Day Travelcards are zonal tickets but not season tickets. Travelcard
season tickets are both season tickets and zonal tickets. No kind of
easement is involved.

jb

Old February 7th 04, 08:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

(Jeremy Barker) wrote in message . com...
"Chris Read" wrote in message ...
Peter Smyth wrote:

[...]

Well then there are some very confused ticket sellers at Liverpool St

I used to travel to Harlow from Greenford.
It was cheapest to buy a four zone one Day and then boundary 4
extention but many times they gave me an Angle Rd to Harlow SDR which
was the same price. No RPI on WAGN ever questioned this despite the
fact I never stopped at Angle Rd
Then I did the same to Crawley and the on train guards would sell me
a Selhurst day return but i never went to Selhurst in my life.
Curiously if I bought at Victoria they would give me a boundary four
even though i asked for the selhurst one as it was cheaper (BY 10 P)

To answer the original question the person who wishes to travel 10
times from boundary six to Watford and backon the same day would buy
the travel card
and not spend £30 on CDRs

HTH Phil
Old February 7th 04, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Phil" wrote in message
To answer the original question the person who wishes to travel 10
times from boundary six to Watford and backon the same day would buy
the travel card
and not spend £30 on CDRs

I thought that a one day travelcard only allowed one return journey from the
station outside the zones, and that it was only within the London zones that
one was allowed unlimited travel?
--
David Biddulph

Old February 7th 04, 08:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, David Biddulph wrote:

"Phil" wrote in message
To answer the original question the person who wishes to travel 10
times from boundary six to Watford and backon the same day would buy
the travel card
and not spend £30 on CDRs

I thought that a one day travelcard only allowed one return journey from the
station outside the zones,

Correct. On arrival back at the starting point, the whole ticket's
validity technically ceases (even if one somehow went to London again
later the same day).

and that it was only within the London zones that
one was allowed unlimited travel?

But not after having used the return portion.

Of course, whether this can be enforced in practice is a different
question. But if there's an automatic barrier, then it's reported
that it swallows the ticket after the return leg, which came as a
surprise to some.
Old February 8th 04, 01:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Charles Ellson wrote:

How much is a WJ-Euston CDR?

Qjump says 6.10

But surely the hon Usenaut wanted to go the other way? Fares aren't
necessarily reversible, even though qjump shows Euston - WJ CDR as
also being 6.10

The price quoted looks suspiciously
like a WJ to Euston plus All Zones has been quoted rather than a
WJ to boundary station plus All Zones.

Qjump doesn't seem to understand "boundary zone 6" as an origin, so it
doesn't really answer the original question.

It shows WJ to off-peak travelcard at 9.80, which I think was already
mentioned on the thread; but that really doesn't prove anything much
about the converse journey.

It wasn't clear whether the traveller in question already held an
all-zones travelcard, in which case it seems plausible that the BZ6 to
WJ CDR would be a good choice even though qjump doesn't want to say
how much it is; or whether they just want to travel to WJ and back, in
which case a day travelcard would IME be more expensive than a
straight point to point ticket, as indeed is usually the case for a
pure point to point journey (although the difference can sometimes be
quite small).