Old July 4th 17, 01:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Inside the Vivarail D-Train

Toilets in a "Tube" train!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTdrtRmSUO0

Old July 4th 17, 03:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 04/07/2017 13:56, Basil Jet wrote:

Toilets in a "Tube" train!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTdrtRmSUO0

They did mention it 30 seconds before the end, but I wonder how easy it
will be to transition between carriages - D stock could be quite bouncy
- to use the aforementioned facilities, or were they planning on one per
carriage (which would substantially lower the passenger carrying capacity)?
Old July 4th 17, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 04/07/2017 13:56, Basil Jet wrote:

Toilets in a "Tube" train!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTdrtRmSUO0

They did mention it 30 seconds before the end, but I wonder how easy it
will be to transition between carriages - D stock could be quite bouncy
- to use the aforementioned facilities, or were they planning on one per
carriage (which would substantially lower the passenger carrying capacity)?

The toilets can only be fitted in trailer cars, so two-car trains won't
have any, and three-car trains can have one.

Old July 4th 17, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

This post is going vivrail!
Old July 6th 17, 06:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 07/04/2017 04:17 PM, Someone Somewhere wrote:

... D stock could be quite bouncy ...

It's been a long time since I last rode the Underground,
and even longer since I travelled on D stock, but I'd
attribute the bumpiness of the ride less to the trains,
but more to the track. I mean, it is very, very busy and
therefore wears out rather quickly, in particular around
points. Also, the D stock is lighter than the A and C stock.

Perhaps, with the added weight due to the new components,
and the less demanding timetables on overland routes, the
rebuilt trains will run more smoothly.

-jmh

Old July 6th 17, 07:33 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Jan-Martin Hertzsch wrote:
On 07/04/2017 04:17 PM, Someone Somewhere wrote:

... D stock could be quite bouncy ...

It's been a long time since I last rode the Underground,
and even longer since I travelled on D stock, but I'd
attribute the bumpiness of the ride less to the trains,
but more to the track. I mean, it is very, very busy and
therefore wears out rather quickly, in particular around
points. Also, the D stock is lighter than the A and C stock.

The S stock certainly rides a lot better than the D stock on exactly the
same track. I think one other issue with the D stock is the longer car
length, meaning the car ends have a lively ride.

Perhaps, with the added weight due to the new components,
and the less demanding timetables on overland routes, the
rebuilt trains will run more smoothly.

That may well be so. However, D-trains are much likely to be travelling at
cruising speed than the frequently-stopping D78s did.

Old July 6th 17, 09:46 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 06:33:09 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Jan-Martin Hertzsch wrote:
On 07/04/2017 04:17 PM, Someone Somewhere wrote:

... D stock could be quite bouncy ...

It's been a long time since I last rode the Underground,
and even longer since I travelled on D stock, but I'd
attribute the bumpiness of the ride less to the trains,
but more to the track. I mean, it is very, very busy and
therefore wears out rather quickly, in particular around
points. Also, the D stock is lighter than the A and C stock.

The S stock certainly rides a lot better than the D stock on exactly the
same track. I think one other issue with the D stock is the longer car
length, meaning the car ends have a lively ride.

The opposite is true. The longer the wheelbase of a vehicle, the less the
vehicle body vertical angular deflection due to a bump of a given size.

--
Spud

Old July 6th 17, 05:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thursday, 6 July 2017 12:10:26 UTC+1, wrote:

Obviously the longer the overhang from the pivoting bogie the more the floor
will shift up and down. But a shorter wheelbase will amplify it. I suppose
its a case of which has the biggest effect.

Brunel would have been baffled by that sentence.