Old December 5th 17, 03:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Rail fares to increase by 3.4%

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-12-05/r...s-3-4-january/

Old December 5th 17, 04:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Good!
Old December 5th 17, 05:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-12-05/r...s-3-4-january/

"The Government uses the previous July's Retail Prices Index measure of
inflation to determine increases in regulated fares, which was 3.6%. These
are around half of all tickets and include season tickets on most commuter
routes and some off-peak return tickets on long-distance journeys."

Rate of increase set by the Government not by the TOCs...

Meanwhile,

"The RMT described the fares announcement as "another kick in the teeth"
for passengers.
General secretary Mick Cash said: "For public sector workers and many
others in our communities who have had their pay and benefits capped or
frozen by this Government, these fare increases are another twist of the
economic knife.
"The private train companies are laughing all the way to the bank.""

Surely at least some of the increase is required to pay for the generous
pay increases the union keeps negotiating for its staff?

Staff costs apparently make up around a quarter of every fare, whereas
profits make up 3%...

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old December 6th 17, 02:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

[...]

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rail-unions-blamed-for-rising-fares-h990cmhv8?shareToken=b976e0154735f1fdbff828d931556 dc9

So the government will reduce fares growth to CPI if the unions agree that
their wages should also be linked to CPI, and not the higher RPI. So Mr
Cash now has the means to reduce fares growth for those hard-pressed
commuters he's so worried about. I'm sure he will be delighted to show he
means what he says and will duly reduce the RMT's wage demands to CPI…

Old December 6th 17, 09:50 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-12-05/r...s-3-4-january/

And this is what happened under BR:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQWcoQqW...jpg&name=small

And that was a shrinking BR, that needed more passengers. Now we have a
growing, overcrowded railway.

Old December 6th 17, 11:10 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Anna Noyd-Dryver" wrote in message news
Basil Jet wrote:

[...]

-------------------

Oh yes, its just the poor hard done by public sector workers! Come into the
private sector and see what its like!

---
http://www.avg.com

Old December 6th 17, 01:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:29:36 on Tue, 5 Dec 2017,
Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:

"The private train companies are laughing all the way to the bank.""

Surely at least some of the increase is required to pay for the generous
pay increases the union keeps negotiating for its staff?

Staff costs apparently make up around a quarter of every fare, whereas
profits make up 3%...

On a similar note, a labour spokesperson was banging on about energy
costs on the TV half an hour ago. British Gas makes 5% profit margin,
and only 10% is "operating costs" (the rest are corporation/green taxes,
Ofgem-regulated grid charges & raw materials) it seems unlikely that
nationalising them would make a great deal of difference to the price
the consumer pays.

Even if they managed to stay equally efficient, management-wise.
Old December 6th 17, 01:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-12-05/r...s-3-4-january/

And this is what happened under BR:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQWcoQqW...jpg&name=small

1975 and 1980 were a bit harsh!

And that was a shrinking BR, that needed more passengers. Now we have a
growing, overcrowded railway.

Presumably BR needed more money more than they needed more passengers.

I recall an interview with Chris Green, then of VWC, following one of the
fare rises - apparently with every fare increase at the time, the passenger
numbers went down but not by as much as the revenue increase, resulting in
an increase in takings regardless.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old December 6th 17, 03:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 05/12/2017 15:48, Basil Jet wrote:

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-12-05/r...s-3-4-january/

What everyone seems to have missed is that many fares also went up in the Summer, but the usual stealth method of redefining what peak-hour means so that a large number of trips that could previously been done on an off-peak ticket now require an anytime ticket. That's put up many fares on the Thameslink line up by 20 to 25%. Even if that only affects say 20% of passenger journeys, it means that the fares basket has increased in the last 12 months not by the nominal 3.4% but by more like 6%.

Of course the service reliability on the Thameslink route has been so outstanding that we deserve this increase. (sorry I can never find the emoji for sarcasm when I want it).

--
Clive Page
Old December 6th 17, 06:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2017\12\06 13:28, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-12-05/r...s-3-4-january/

And this is what happened under BR:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQWcoQqW...jpg&name=small

1975 and 1980 were a bit harsh!

First price rise after Labour came to power and after the Tories came to
power, respectively. No, I don't understand the significance of that.