Old April 1st 18, 05:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 2 london bendy buses spotted

I saw 2 of them today doing stirling service at Waddeson manor. No sign of
any fires and easy to board with a pushchair and probably 60 people all
boarded within about 20 seconds. Who would want a bus like that eh?

Old April 1st 18, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sunday, 1 April 2018 17:20:05 UTC+1, wrote:
I saw 2 of them today doing stirling service at Waddeson manor. No sign of
any fires and easy to board with a pushchair and probably 60 people all
boarded within about 20 seconds. Who would want a bus like that eh?

Here's another spotted on Friday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-43601949
Old April 3rd 18, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 09:42:57 -0700 (PDT)
DRH wrote:
On Sunday, 1 April 2018 17:20:05 UTC+1, wrote:
I saw 2 of them today doing stirling service at Waddeson manor. No sign of
any fires and easy to board with a pushchair and probably 60 people all
boarded within about 20 seconds. Who would want a bus like that eh?

Here's another spotted on Friday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-43601949

Ever get the feeling maintenance was a bit slack? Also I wouldn't want to be
on an aircraft with problems at that airport if their fire trucks take so
long to turn up that the bus is virtually burnt out.

Old April 3rd 18, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:42:10 on Tue, 3 Apr
2018, remarked:
I saw 2 of them today doing stirling service at Waddeson manor. No sign of
any fires and easy to board with a pushchair and probably 60 people all
boarded within about 20 seconds. Who would want a bus like that eh?

Here's another spotted on Friday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-43601949

Ever get the feeling maintenance was a bit slack? Also I wouldn't want to be
on an aircraft with problems at that airport if their fire trucks take so
long to turn up that the bus is virtually burnt out.

Different territory (landside vs airside); different fire trucks.
Old April 3rd 18, 12:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 11:34:52 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:42:10 on Tue, 3 Apr
2018, remarked:
I saw 2 of them today doing stirling service at Waddeson manor. No sign of
any fires and easy to board with a pushchair and probably 60 people all
boarded within about 20 seconds. Who would want a bus like that eh?

Here's another spotted on Friday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-43601949

Ever get the feeling maintenance was a bit slack? Also I wouldn't want to be
on an aircraft with problems at that airport if their fire trucks take so
long to turn up that the bus is virtually burnt out.

Different territory (landside vs airside); different fire trucks.

Thats no excuse. Would they have been happy to watch the terminal burn down?

Old April 3rd 18, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:15:41 on Tue, 3 Apr
2018, remarked:
I saw 2 of them today doing stirling service at Waddeson manor. No sign of
any fires and easy to board with a pushchair and probably 60 people all
boarded within about 20 seconds. Who would want a bus like that eh?

Here's another spotted on Friday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-43601949

Ever get the feeling maintenance was a bit slack? Also I wouldn't want to be
on an aircraft with problems at that airport if their fire trucks take so
long to turn up that the bus is virtually burnt out.

Different territory (landside vs airside); different fire trucks.

Thats no excuse.

It's a reason, not an excuse.

Would they have been happy to watch the terminal burn down?

You'd have to close the airport for takeoffs and landings first (because
those fire trucks are on standby for aircraft incidents). I don't know
if the crews are trained, or responsible for, fires within the terminal.
In any event the County should be able to deal with that.

Does sound a bit like this is another fire where the local brigade might
have been better off with a bit of foam rather than water (it took 40
mins to extinguish).
Old April 3rd 18, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 12:45:30 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

[...]

Didn't they close the airport anyway? After that, at least some of
the airside fire appliances should have been available. But, as you
say, they may not be trained for fires in the terminal, though a bus
fire should be well within their capabilities.

Does sound a bit like this is another fire where the local brigade might
have been better off with a bit of foam rather than water (it took 40
mins to extinguish).

Yes
Old April 3rd 18, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:48:15 on
Tue, 3 Apr 2018, Recliner remarked:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-43601949

Ever get the feeling maintenance was a bit slack? Also I wouldn't want to be
on an aircraft with problems at that airport if their fire trucks take so
long to turn up that the bus is virtually burnt out.

Different territory (landside vs airside); different fire trucks.

Thats no excuse.

It's a reason, not an excuse.

Would they have been happy to watch the terminal burn down?

You'd have to close the airport for takeoffs and landings first (because
those fire trucks are on standby for aircraft incidents). I don't know
if the crews are trained, or responsible for, fires within the terminal.
In any event the County should be able to deal with that.

Didn't they close the airport anyway?

Eventually, but only because PAX were evacuated unscreened from landside
to airside to get away from the smoke, and it took a few hours for the
penny to drop that sorting them back out again in to departing
(re-security screened) and arriving (passport control) wasn't going to
work in what remained of the day.

After that, at least some of
the airside fire appliances should have been available.

You'd have need them within minutes (during which flights were
undoubtedly still taking off and arriving), not hours.

Ryanair appears to be claiming that flight operations continued all
evening, which must have meant empty-ish planes taking off, and arriving
pax getting caught up in the melee.
Old April 3rd 18, 01:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The bus was burnt to a crisp.
Old April 3rd 18, 01:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
05:40:24 on Tue, 3 Apr 2018, Offramp remarked:

The bus was burnt to a crisp.

And the terminal only had smoke damage (as far as I can tell).