Old November 28th 18, 02:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default New timetables online: Park Royal parly to be diverted

In article ,
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 28/11/2018 12:33, Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
NY wrote:
I'm not sure why a north-to-west facing curve was never built between the
Heathrow spur and the GWML, to allow trains from Reading, Oxford, Bristol
and south Wales to reach Heathrow - even if it involved a change to a
Reading-Heathrow shuttle.

Because the line is at capacity from Newbury to Paddington.

So which services through Reading are you going to divert to
Heathrow? They have to be fast trains, otherwise it'll be quicker
to go to non-stop Paddington and change there.

You missed the bit about a Reading - Heathrow shuttle.

How can a Reading to Heathrow service avoid the line between Newbury
and Paddington (via Reading)? Because that whole section is at
capacity, AIUI, which was the basis for the rest of my comments.

One solution, given a west facing curve would be to run a limited stop
service Paddington - Heathrow - Reading and return on the current HE
frequencies.

You can clear the paths from Paddington - Heathrow by using this
service to replace the HE service; but where do the paths between
Heathrow - Reading come from? That section is at capacity, too.

--
Mike Bristow

Old November 28th 18, 03:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 28/11/2018 15:49, Mike Bristow wrote:
NY wrote:
I'm not sure why a north-to-west facing curve was never built between the
Heathrow spur and the GWML, to allow trains from Reading, Oxford, Bristol
and south Wales to reach Heathrow - even if it involved a change to a
Reading-Heathrow shuttle.

Because the line is at capacity from Newbury to Paddington.

So which services through Reading are you going to divert to
Heathrow? They have to be fast trains, otherwise it'll be quicker
to go to non-stop Paddington and change there.

You missed the bit about a Reading - Heathrow shuttle.

How can a Reading to Heathrow service avoid the line between Newbury
and Paddington (via Reading)? Because that whole section is at
capacity, AIUI, which was the basis for the rest of my comments.

Given the paths are half occupied from Airport junction inward then
there should be space west of Slough on the relief lines.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old November 28th 18, 03:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Â*Â*Â*Â*NY wrote:
I'm not sure why a north-to-west facing curve was never built
between the
Heathrow spur and the GWML, to allow trains from Reading, Oxford,
Bristol
and south Wales to reach Heathrow - even if it involved a change to a
Reading-Heathrow shuttle.

Because the line is at capacity from Newbury to Paddington.

So which services through Reading are you going to divert to
Heathrow?Â* They have to be fast trains, otherwise it'll be quicker
to go to non-stop Paddington and change there.

You missed the bit about a Reading - Heathrow shuttle.

How can a Reading to Heathrow service avoid the line between Newbury
and Paddington (via Reading)?Â* Because that whole section is at
capacity, AIUI, which was the basis for the rest of my comments.

Given the paths are half occupied from Airport junction inward then
there should be space west of Slough on the relief lines.

That would only follow if every train on the relief lines had the same
stopping pattern west of Airport Junction.

--
Basil Jet - listening... St. Vincent. Star Park. Stealing Sheep. Stephen
Mallinder. Stereolab. Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel. Steve Mackay. Steve
Old November 29th 18, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Â*Â*Â*Â*NY wrote:
[...]

Not really. As long as they have about the same number of stops, or are
efficiently flighted, there should be some spare paths west of Heathrow.

Old December 14th 18, 12:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
news
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 25/11/2018 20:21, Roger Lynn wrote:
On 25/11/18 01:40, Basil Jet wrote:
On 25/11/2018 00:55, Recliner wrote:
However, I hope that Chiltern's request for a reopened line into the
new
OOC Crossrail/HS2/GWR station comes to fruition, so it can run an
hourly
service to it from Milton Keynes via Aylesbury.

It seems like a stupid place to terminate - I can't see many people
getting trains in from High Wycombe to change onto HS2 for Birmingham.
Crossrail is just a glorified tube line - although I suppose the other
Chiltern trains terminate at a station with only one tube line.

Connections to Heathrow and the GWML would be useful. At the moment
getting to Heathrow from Chiltern stations is a pain and it's easier and
faster to drive or get a coach.

Getting to Heathrow from anywhere to the west is a pain.

Yes. Various rail links to the west and southwest have been under
discussion for decades, and still are. The station under T5 awaits the
line
west, but construction still hasn't begun.

even the bus links are ****e

I noticed last time I was in Woking that the airlink bus is now hourly

tim

Old December 15th 18, 04:54 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

We now at last have a YouTube video with good picture quality of the line from Northolt Junction to Greenford.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAEOaqvw0OM

In fact it's from West Ruislip Station to the South Western Lines just past Acton Wells Junction. What a pity the only YouTube video of the section between Park Royal and Greenford has such awful picture quality.