Old January 31st 19, 02:33 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default When the software meets the hardware

On 2019-01-29 09:37:40 +0000, said:

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 18:56:13 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:

They managed to install toilets on le shuttle with normal doors. People seem
to manage to use them.

The toilets on Le Shuttle aren’t a great example to compare things to.
They’re disgusting. Clarkson was right to **** in a bottle.

TBH I don't see the purpose of them either. The journey is only 45 mins.

You've just driven down the M20, rushing to get to your shuttle on
time, and when you make it you relax and need a pee. Makes sense to me.

FTAOD I've never been on Le Shuttle and therefore have no experience of
their tiolets, but from the description I'd guess people who use
wheelchairs don't use them at all, unless "normal doors" includes ones
that open outwards, in which case you've just created a potentially
wasted space outside the tiolet which needs to be kept clear for anyone
to use it.

The Le Shuttle car carriages are either single or double deck. Usually one
half of each train is double and one half single. On both types there’s a
narrow 'pavement' down the sides of the 'roadway'.

On the double deck carriages, there’s a toilet underneath the stairs in
every third carriage. On single deck trains there are two toilets in each
of the end carriages. They’re narrow due to location and my recollection of
them is filthy, stinky and disgusting.

They’re not wheelchair accessible due to lack of width, and also you
wouldn’t be able to get there from your car unless you happened to be
parked right next to the toilet.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0a/8d/8d/98/eurotunnel-le-shuttle.jpg

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old January 31st 19, 05:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 29/01/2019 12:20, Jeremy Double wrote:
wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 18:08:00 +0000
Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 28/01/2019 12:10, wrote:
On 28 Jan 2019 10:19:40 +0000 (GMT)
Jonathan Amery wrote:

You must go to some fairly boring places for holiday.

Nothing boring about Europe.

Frankfurt is a thing in Europe.

(thinking of the /M version... I've only ever passed through /O, which
for all I know might be like Barcelona on a bank holiday Friday when
someone is offering free beer)

I've been to the business Frankfurt once. It was enough for one lifetime tbh.
Clean, efficient, friendly (for germany) but totally and utterly boring as hell.

You didn’t go to the Feldbahnmuseum, then?

https://flic.kr/p/5zgANt

No, but I have been to the Strassenbahn museum. The chap who showed me
round had just been on holiday to Croydon...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old February 3rd 19, 12:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 31/01/2019 18:55, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 29/01/2019 12:20, Jeremy Double wrote:

You didn’t go to the Feldbahnmuseum, then?

https://flic.kr/p/5zgANt

No, but I have been to the Strassenbahn museum. The chap who showed me
round had just been on holiday to Croydon...

It's a long way to go just to see Croydon!
I hope he at least took in Purley as well.

--
Basil Jet - Current favourite song...
What by Bruce
Old February 3rd 19, 04:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 03/02/2019 13:22, Basil Jet wrote:
On 31/01/2019 18:55, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 29/01/2019 12:20, Jeremy Double wrote:

You didn’t go to the Feldbahnmuseum, then?

https://flic.kr/p/5zgANt

No, but I have been to the Strassenbahn museum. The chap who showed me
round had just been on holiday to Croydon...

It's a long way to go just to see Croydon!
I hope he at least took in Purley as well.

Wimbledon, Elmers End and New Addington (being a clue as to why Croydon).

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK