Old November 2nd 04, 12:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Trivia: Hook Underpass (Ace of Spades)

"Paul Terry" wrote in message

Why should the hourly rate of labourers in the 1950s have anything to do
with either the matter under discussion (currency value in the 1930s) or
the minimum wage today?

Rather than guessing, why not try one of the many useful economic
history reference machines, which is what I did:

£12.16 in 2002 has the same "purchase power" as 5s in 1930.

That sounds about right, as the typical wage in the 1930s was about £3 for a
48 hour week, or 1/4d per hour.

Anyway, who was guessing?
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm

Old November 2nd 04, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Troy Steadman" wrote in message news:740bac0afbbf5e6378070ad2d5f2d60a.125090@myga te.mailgate.org...
"Neill Wood" wrote in message
om

I don't often travel Londonbound on the A3, but I think the doors in
the side of the Hook Underpass are still visible.

So did I but there aren't any (I've just been to have a look) so the
generators must have been at ground level which makes sense. The Cap in
Hand (Wetherspoon) is one of the best *proper* locals in London, so I
popped in there, Harry Hawker lived at corner of Hook Rd / Orchard Rd,
so it is not surprising there was aviation interest. He is buried in the
churchyard near his house (marked with a cross on the overlaid map).

http://tinyurl.com/6fmq5

King Edward Rec is very large and quite capable I would suppose of
accomodating bi-planes. I wonder if anyone's figured out how the people
of Ace got home if they went to Mitcham on the 152?

Another thing I recall is that there was a gap in the barriers between
the main carriageway and the sliproad when travelling northbound just
before you entered the underpass. I never worked out why it existed as
both roads come from the same point. I used to see people using it to
cross between the A3 and the sliproad as late as the 1980's. Quite
scarey when the car in front suddenly slows down to leave the
carriageway. It eventually got filled in with ordinary cones, then
fixed poles and finally by a new section of barrier a few years back.

Neill
Old November 2nd 04, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

CIG_BIG_CIG wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 1 Nov 2004:

Now logic suggests if the Ace of Spades came first then did Tolworth
and New Malden come second and third respectively?

I vaguely remember that they were built at about the same time as each
other, in the mid-to-late 1970s. Certainly the journey was rendered
hideous by road-works for a long time around then.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/