Old July 24th 06, 10:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default bus transfers and weekend travelcards

Two "silly" questions from a visitor:

I take it that there is no concept of a free bus-to-bus transfer in
London? At least I can't find anything about it on the web or the TfL
site. (Most systems in the US like NYC and Boston alllow you to get a
transfer ticket when you get on the first bus to be used in lieu of
paying again on the second bus.)

Whatever happened to the Weekend Travelcard? On a previous visit
(sometime between 1985 and roughly 2000, I recall there being a Weekend
Travelcard that you could buy on Saturday which would cover both
Saturday and Sunday. Or on a holiday weekend, it would cover all 3
days for the price of two. It was very convenient especially when
staying a bus ride away from the Underground.

Thanks ...

Old July 24th 06, 11:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Hi,

Rick wrote:

Two "silly" questions from a visitor:

Whatever happened to the Weekend Travelcard? On a previous visit
(sometime between 1985 and roughly 2000, I recall there being a Weekend
Travelcard that you could buy on Saturday which would cover both
Saturday and Sunday. Or on a holiday weekend, it would cover all 3
days for the price of two. It was very convenient especially when
staying a bus ride away from the Underground.

Sadly the weekend travelcard was discontinued, I believe because of the
introduction of Oyster card - I used to find them rather handy so have
previously asked what happened to them. There isn't any free bus
transfer either.

If you're staying for a weekend and expect to do a lot of travelling,
pick up a pre-pay Oystercard. You can get one for a £3 deposit
(refundable). Whilst some tickets may tell you otherwise, you don't
have to register - they should be able to issue one for a few quid.

Once you've got one, it'll deduct fares for all your tube and bus
journeys (discounted from the standard rate) and if you spend enough in
a day it will be "capped" and no more money will be deducted. The
capping rates are lower than the cost of a day travelcard. When you've
finished travelling, you should be able to give back the card to
reclaim your deposit.

The major exception is if you plan to travel by mainline rail, as
pre-pay Oyster isn't yet accepted. If you need to use national rail,
it's better to buy paper one-day travelcards as these cover bus, tube,
tram, light rail and national rail.

Hope that helps,

Luke

Old July 24th 06, 01:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com, Rick
writes

I take it that there is no concept of a free bus-to-bus transfer in
London? At least I can't find anything about it on the web or the TfL
site.

No, but a one-day bus pass allows unlimited bus journeys throughout the
London area for an entire day and up to 4.30am the next morning. You can
buy one as a paper ticket (3.50 UKP), or you can use Oyster "pay as you
go", which will cap the daily cost to 3.00 UKP (i.e. twice the price of
a single cash fare, but allowing unlimited transfer).

Whatever happened to the Weekend Travelcard?

Not sure why it went, but a 1-day offpeak travelcard for use on a
Saturday or Sunday costs 4.90 UKP for Zones 1+2.

--
Paul Terry
Old July 24th 06, 04:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote:
In message .com, Rick
writes

Whatever happened to the Weekend Travelcard?

Not sure why it went, but a 1-day offpeak travelcard for use on a
Saturday or Sunday costs 4.90 UKP for Zones 1+2.

And these can be bought in advance - or from newsagents displaying
'Ticket Stop' signs, you don't have to buy from a tube or rail station
if there's not a convenient station.

Old July 24th 06, 07:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Rick" wrote in news:1153736432.523896.144030
@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Whatever happened to the Weekend Travelcard?

It disappeared a few years back, I think at the same time the 3 day
travelcard was introduced. Unlike the 3 day cards it did offer a useful
saving.

I suspect the real reason was that it didn't fit in with Oyster's daily
price capping.

Old July 24th 06, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Rick wrote:
Whatever happened to the Weekend Travelcard? On a previous visit
(sometime between 1985 and roughly 2000, I recall there being a Weekend
Travelcard that you could buy on Saturday which would cover both
Saturday and Sunday. Or on a holiday weekend, it would cover all 3
days for the price of two.

The weekend travelcards that I have experience of were only ever valid
for two consecutive days, namely a Sat/Sun or a Sun/Bank Holiday Monday.

ESB
Old July 24th 06, 09:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article .com,
wrote:

Paul Terry wrote:
In message .com, Rick
writes

Whatever happened to the Weekend Travelcard?

Not sure why it went, but a 1-day offpeak travelcard for use on a
Saturday or Sunday costs 4.90 UKP for Zones 1+2.

And these can be bought in advance - or from newsagents displaying
'Ticket Stop' signs, you don't have to buy from a tube or rail station
if there's not a convenient station.

You mean I can buy a Sunday travelcard on Saturday? Cool. It would
have saved me an extra trip to Hatton Cross last Sunday. (I was
making some trips by bus back and forth from Heathrow (Hotel Row) to
Feltham. Later in the day I was going into London. So, I really
wanted all all day Zone 1-6 travel card. If I had started out in
Feltham, I could have gotten the travel card at Feltham Station. But
I was starting out from the Sheraton. At least it didn't cost me
anything more, it just took some more time at Hatton Cross.)