Old September 6th 06, 06:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Road works

Despite Thames Water's claim to be replacing so much of our water mains, it
is very noticeable that major road works generally involve GAS main
repair/replacement.

I can't help thinking that if Transco adopted the same approach as Thames
Water to waiting for things to go bang before you mend them, London would be
a very dangerous place to live! And if Transco can (usually) stop leaks
before they happen, why can't Thames Water?

MaxB

Old September 6th 06, 10:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

MaxB wrote:
Despite Thames Water's claim to be replacing so much of our water
mains, it is very noticeable that major road works generally
involve GAS main repair/replacement.

In parts of West London, it's wall-to-wall Thames Water at the moment.

I can't help thinking that if Transco adopted the same approach as
Thames Water to waiting for things to go bang before you mend them,
London would be a very dangerous place to live! And if Transco can
(usually) stop leaks before they happen, why can't Thames Water?

Because they left it too late to start the mains replacement programme.
--
Richard J.

Old September 6th 06, 11:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
MaxB wrote:
Despite Thames Water's claim to be replacing so much of our water
mains, it is very noticeable that major road works generally
involve GAS main repair/replacement.

In parts of West London, it's wall-to-wall Thames Water at the moment.

I can't help thinking that if Transco adopted the same approach as
Thames Water to waiting for things to go bang before you mend them,
London would be a very dangerous place to live! And if Transco can
(usually) stop leaks before they happen, why can't Thames Water?

Because they left it too late to start the mains replacement programme.
--
Richard J.

But while the are digging up the road anyway, can't they replace both
at the same time?

Old September 6th 06, 11:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Earl Purple wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
MaxB wrote:
Despite Thames Water's claim to be replacing so much of our water
mains, it is very noticeable that major road works generally
involve GAS main repair/replacement.

In parts of West London, it's wall-to-wall Thames Water at the
moment.

I can't help thinking that if Transco adopted the same approach as
Thames Water to waiting for things to go bang before you mend
them, London would be a very dangerous place to live! And if
Transco can (usually) stop leaks before they happen, why can't
Thames Water?

Because they left it too late to start the mains replacement
programme.

But while the are digging up the road anyway, can't they replace
both at the same time?

If you don't mind, I'd rather not have water engineers messing about
with my gas supply.
--
Richard J.