Old January 15th 07, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Sam Sam is offline

Default Annual Oyster and Photocard

A quick question regarding the need for photocards with Oysters.

I have an Annual Oystercard and accompanying Gold Record Card. I also have
a very old photocard which used to be used when I would get a monthly paper
season ticket.

Yesterday at Liverpool Street station (LU side) I was stopped by a
non-uniformed ticket inspector, she went through all my tickets and said I
needed a photocard with my Goldcard. She was very very persistant that I
needed one. I asked if you still needed one with Oystercards, which she
replied of course you do.

I went through my wallet and found my old photocard used for purchasing
paper LU season tickets, which she reluctantly accepted. She spent ages
scanning my Oyster and looking at the various tickets in my ticket holder.
Hence I missed my connecting train (Very tight transfer time I know),
however I don't think my Oystercard is related to my photocard in any way.

I spoke to various staff at different stations today who all said "you do
not need a photocard with a Oystercard". Ready to make a complaint, I just
spoke to a Revenue Protection Manager on the phone who covers Liverpool
Street who was rude to say the least. He said you must have a photocard
with an period Oystercard, and that the Inspector was right and I was wrong.

Obviously I did'nt take it further as he implied he knows everything about
tickets. Setting aside the fact the inspector was very rude, was she
correct ?

Any thoughts .....

Old January 15th 07, 11:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Sam
writes
[...]

According to the tfl website u only need a photocard when u are a 18+
student or are eligible for a 16-17 discount.
--
martyn dawe
Old January 15th 07, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sam wrote:
[...]

From the Oyster website, result #1 searching help for 'photocard':

Do I need a photocard when I am using Oyster?
Question
Do I need a photocard when I am using Oyster?
Answer
You do not need to carry a photocard if you have an Adult rate
Travelcard or Bus Pass on your Oyster card, or if you are using Oyster
to pay as you go.

Freedom Pass holders need to continue to carry their Freedom Pass
photocards with their Oyster card at all times.

Holders of 16-17 photocards to carry their photocard with them at all
times when using Oyster.

Students and Under 16s are issued with Oyster photocards, which they
need to be eligible for free and reduced/discount rate travel.

Complain away...

--
Larry Lard

The address is real, but unread - please reply to the group
Old January 15th 07, 12:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Larry Lard
writes
Complain away...

And do let us know the result....... :-)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old January 15th 07, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Sam Sam is offline

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message , Larry Lard
writes
Complain away...

And do let us know the result....... :-)
--

Any pointers who to complain to.

The Revenue Protection Manager who I spoke to on the phone said he
supervised all inspectors on duty at Liverpool Street . I don't really want
to speak to him again, as he said I definately required a photocard, he was
pretty rude as well.

Anyone higher up than him ?

Old January 15th 07, 02:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

[...]

When they first launched Oyster card for annual seasons (sometime in August
2003 I think it was) I had to supply my photocard number. Sometime after
that they changed the rules so you do not need a photocard with a normal
adult Oyster. This photocard number continued to appear on my online oyster
account for that card for some time after that, but it appears to be no
longer on there. Other Oyster cards registered after this date had "XXXXX"
or something like that in the photocard field. Where an Oyster card needs a
photocard (such as a student discount) it is physically part of the card.
i.e. the Oyster card and the photocard are the same thing.

I, and other people I know, have been told a variety of crap from NR staff
regarding Oyster including:

1) Oyster loaded with season tickets are not valid on National Rail
(Silverlink)
2) Oyster pay as you go not valid on sections of NR where it is valid
(Thameslink Farringdon-London Bridge)
3) Gold record card required to be carried or Oyster-charged season is not
valid, despite the record card displaying "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL". (c2c)

You can take whatever they say with a pinch of salt.

Old January 15th 07, 02:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Sam Sam is offline

"tkd" wrote in message
[...]

This wasn't NR staff though. This was LU Revenue Protection staff, not only
the female doing the checks, but also her manager who I spoke to on the
phone. Neither of them knew / were aware that you no longer required a
photocard with an Oyster.

I spoke to LU customer services who have e-mailed me the relevent web link.
Any idea who to address my letter to ?

Old January 15th 07, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sam wrote:

"tkd" wrote in message
[...]

Wow, so not only did the LU Revenue Protection Inspector (RPI) who
hassled you not know the rules, her boss didn't know the rules either!
I can believe this happening with RPI staff working for a train
company, but I'm pretty surprised it's the case with an LU RPI, and
shocked that the LU manager doesn't know what their talking about.

You can submit failry specific complaints via the online feedback
form...
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/contacts/form.asp

....but I think in some situations such as this sending a letter has
more force to it. Send it to:

Customer Service Centre
London Underground
55 Broadway
London
SW1H 0BD

(found on http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/contacts/)

I'm sure you know this already but I'll say it anyway - include as much
detail as you can - the date, the time, the RPIs name if known/ if not
perhaps what they looked like, the precise location where you were
checked, what number you called to complain, and the name of the
manager that you spoke to, and perhaps include your Oyster card number
as well as your details.

It sounds like you've been treated shabbily by people who should know
better - do come back to utl and post a follow up when you get a
response.

Old January 15th 07, 03:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sam wrote:
"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message , Larry Lard
writes
Complain away...

And do let us know the result....... :-)
--

Any pointers who to complain to.

The Revenue Protection Manager who I spoke to on the phone said he
supervised all inspectors on duty at Liverpool Street . I don't really want
to speak to him again, as he said I definately required a photocard, he was
pretty rude as well.

Anyone higher up than him ?

Just to confirm that all this happened in the Underground station at
Liverpool Street (I think you said that in your OP). If so, I would go for

Customer Service Centre
London Underground
55 Broadway
London
SW1H 0BD

If after dealing with them you need to go higher still, I think there is
an ombudsman-type organisation called the LRPC or somesuch. Or wait,
maybe that's only the big trains...

Old January 15th 07, 03:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:09:21 -0000, tkd wrote:

I, and other people I know, have been told a variety of crap from NR staff
regarding Oyster including:

2) Oyster pay as you go not valid on sections of NR where it is valid
(Thameslink Farringdon-London Bridge)

Barrier staff at London Bridge (NR) appear to be under specific
instructions to tell you that PAYG is *not* valid at that station.

The ticket gates there reject PAYG-only Oyster cards, so you have to
go to the manual gate. The staff there say, every time, that PAYG is
not valid, and will only let you in/out after you insist that it is.