Old September 9th 07, 12:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mysteries seen from the air

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 00:29:10 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

James Farrar wrote:

Wikipedia's page on [[RAF Northolt]] states "In days before such
navigational aides as instrument landing system (ILS) and the global
positioning system (GPS), the letters NO (for Northolt) and HR (for
Heathrow) were painted on two gasometers situated on the approach to
each airfield, one at Southall for the approach into Heathrow and one
at South Harrow for the approach to Northolt in an effort to prevent
recurrence of such errors." - this seems to imply that they're no
longer there, and certainly I cannot find any evidence from a quick
Google Maps search.

The Southall gasometer seems to still have LH on it...
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...0103&encType=1

Ah, it's on the side, not the top. Thanks.

Old September 9th 07, 02:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8 Sep, 20:54, James Farrar wrote:
On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 10:50:00 -0700, Jon
wrote:

On 8 Sep, 10:35, "dB" wrote:
I once heard that a building either at or near Croydon Airport has the
word NO written on so as to advise pilots that they are not
approaching Gatwick.

There used to be a gasholder at South Harrow with NO painted on the
side to indicate that it was near Northolt airfield and not on the
approach to Heathrow.

That was done after someone tried to land a 747 at Northolt.

The gasholder still standing in Southall has an arrow and 'LH' marked
on it for the same reason. ISTR being told someone did land a 707 at
Northolt by mistake in the 1970's, and it had to be stripped of all
non-essential components to make it light enough to take off again
safely.

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1001607 and
http://www.thirdamendment.com/wrongway.html refer to this incident
in October 1960.

Wikipedia's page on [[RAF Northolt]] states "In days before such
navigational aides as instrument landing system (ILS) and the global
positioning system (GPS), the letters NO (for Northolt) and HR (for
Heathrow) were painted on two gasometers situated on the approach to
each airfield, one at Southall for the approach into Heathrow and one
at South Harrow for the approach to Northolt in an effort to prevent
recurrence of such errors." - this seems to imply that they're no
longer there, and certainly I cannot find any evidence from a quick
Google Maps search.

The gasometer is still there at Southall along with the letters
painted on it - in fact what's actually painted on them is "LHR"
accompanied by an arrow below pointing forwards (though of course the
precise arrangement may have been different in the past). You can see
it from the train on the GWML. Presumably this is provided by
arrangement between the gas board - now Transco - and BAA / the CAA /
NATS.

Here is conformation, albeit without a photo of the LHR markings on
the side:
http://www.route79.com/journal/archives/000213.html

And here, courtesy of a Flickr contributor, is photographic proof of
the LHR and arrow markings:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/route79/276017099/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route79/162905004/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fictiondreamer/1138463729/

Great great curry houses in Southall too - and authentic, in the
truest sense of the word.

Old September 9th 07, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 Sep, 15:32, Mizter T wrote:

(snip)

[...]

And this is the bit where I admit to being a complete idiot! The text
on the markings does of course merely state "LH" as opposed to "LHR" -
I was going by memory as opposed to actually looking at those Flickr
photos that I'd found, d'oh!

I've also just looked at the link to Live Maps that John Rowland
provided in another post - the birds eye view shows it clearly.

The cause of my befuddlement is that LHR is of course the IATA code
for Heathrow.

Old September 9th 07, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8 Sep, 11:10, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote:
Now, somebody tell me why there's a factory in Croydon with a number
written in binary on the roof:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...82013,-0.12222...

It's not a binary number, it's an arrangement of skylights. The southern
number alternates 1s and 0s, and the northern one nearly does, which
suggests that the similarity to ones and zeroes is coincidental. If you look
at the building further north, it has similar skylights but in a less
interesting pattern.

I concur - there's no secret code there. No move along please, these
ladies gentlemen from GCHQ wish to get on with their work in peace.

Old September 9th 07, 02:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default [OT] Mysteries seen from the air

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...&t=k&z=19&om=1

It's not a binary number, it's an arrangement of skylights. The southern
number alternates 1s and 0s, and the northern one nearly does, which
suggests that the similarity to ones and zeroes is coincidental. If you
look at the building further north, it has similar skylights but in a
less interesting pattern.

A likely story!

I suspected this might be the case, but was hoping it was something
interesting like a computer factory. The regularity of the 0101010101
pattern is a bit of a giveaway, but i thought it might be the ethernet
preamble or someething.

tom

--
The few survivors on ousfg's side ended up in a monastery of immortal
monks who yearned for a life better than street-fighting social groups,

Old September 9th 07, 02:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007, Offramp wrote:

On Sep 8, 2:41 am, Tom Anderson wrote:

Now, somebody tell me why there's a factory in Croydon with a number
written in binary on the roof:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...82013,-0.12222...

Weird stuff. It looks like it's right next to the Tram stop so l'll have
a look next time l'm down there. Binary makes me fall immediately to
sleep - what are the two numbers?

0 and 1.

tom

Old September 9th 07, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jon Jon is offline

On 9 Sep, 00:29, "John Rowland" wrote

The Southall gasometer seems to still have LH on it

It certainly does - I see it through the window every day I'm at work.

Jon

Old September 9th 07, 07:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Tom
Anderson writes
On Fri, 7 Sep 2007, Offramp wrote:

On Sep 8, 2:41 am, Tom Anderson wrote:

Now, somebody tell me why there's a factory in Croydon with a number
written in binary on the roof:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...82013,-0.12222...

Weird stuff. It looks like it's right next to the Tram stop so l'll
have a look next time l'm down there. Binary makes me fall
immediately to sleep - what are the two numbers?

0 and 1.

"There are 10 sorts of people in the world: those that understand
binary and those that don't."
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old September 9th 07, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 9, 3:32 pm, Mizter T wrote:
On 8 Sep, 20:54, James Farrar wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/route79...er/1138463729/

That last one is really good - there's the gasometer and a strange
redbrick gothic tower, a mirror of the gasometer, in the foreground.
I'd love to live in a place like that, as long as it had a lift.

Old September 9th 07, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

http://www.flickr.com/photos/route79...ww.flickr.com/...

That last one is really good - there's the gasometer and a strange
redbrick gothic tower, a mirror of the gasometer, in the foreground.
I'd love to live in a place like that, as long as it had a lift.

I see you're posting via Google Groups (as I do) which unfortunately
makes a horrendous mess of mangling together URLs when quoting
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fictiondreamer/1138463729/

I think I've located where the tower is - it's very near Southall
station on a road called The Straight and is marked "Water Tower" on
this map:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=512448&y=179802

It looks like it occasionally gets used as a film location...
http://www.westlondonfilmoffice.co.uk/index.php?siid=2736
(the photo might be a bit old and is from a different angle but it's
definitely the same place)

This website in homage to the Professionals TV programme claims the
water tower is known locally as "The Cockpit"! - a quick search on the
web failed find any other evidence on the web to back this up, but
then again it's the kind of local word-of-mouth thing that doesn't
necessarily ever get on to the web...

http://www.mark-1.co.uk/Professionals/a13.htm
(scroll down for photo or search the text)