Old July 25th 08, 07:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london
dB dB is offline

Default Oyster Card System Failure

The Oyster system used on London's transport network has broken down two
weeks after another fault left 40,000 customers with corrupted cards.

The latest problem has affected pay as you go Oystercards on the Tube
network.

Barriers are being kept open at all stations until the problem has been
rectified, Transport for London (TfL) has confirmed.

Old July 25th 08, 08:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 25, 8:16 am, "dB" wrote:

The Oyster system used on London's transport network has broken down two
weeks after another fault left 40,000 customers with corrupted cards.

Oh dear, the system hardening against the MiFARE hack just isn't
working is it boys? When that exploit gets published in full in
october you're going to be well and truly screwed.

B2003

Old July 25th 08, 08:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 25, 9:24 am, Adrian wrote:
gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

The Oyster system used on London's transport network has broken down
two weeks after another fault left 40,000 customers with corrupted
cards.

Oh dear, the system hardening against the MiFARE hack just isn't working
is it boys? When that exploit gets published in full in october you're
going to be well and truly screwed.

You really think there'll be anything in that disclosure that the black-
hats haven't _long_ known?

Quite possibly. Black hats arn't super human genuises plus if you read
the details this exploit required access to lab equipment to strip the
chip layers and look at it under (I think) electron microscopes.
Besides which , its only now that the exploit has come out and TfL are
panicking. When/if it was underground (excuse the pun) before , they'd
have been in blissful ignorance.

Heres a video of the guys explaining what they did. Its quite long but
interesting:

http://www.hackaday.com/2008/01/01/2...letely-broken/

B2003
Old July 25th 08, 08:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

Besides which , its only now that the exploit has come out and TfL are
panicking. When/if it was underground (excuse the pun) before , they'd
have been in blissful ignorance.

Which is precisely why disclosure is good.

Old July 25th 08, 08:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 25, 9:35 am, Adrian wrote:
gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

Besides which , its only now that the exploit has come out and TfL are
panicking. When/if it was underground (excuse the pun) before , they'd
have been in blissful ignorance.

Which is precisely why disclosure is good.

Indeed. Though from what I've read theres probably not all that much
that can be done against this exploit without changing the hardware.
I'll bet a fiver that they'll have to slowly migrate over to the newer
cards using 3DES for Oyster in the coming years.

B2003
Old July 25th 08, 09:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On Jul 25, 9:35 am, Adrian wrote:
gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

Besides which , its only now that the exploit has come out and TfL are
panicking. When/if it was underground (excuse the pun) before , they'd
have been in blissful ignorance.

Which is precisely why disclosure is good.

Indeed. Though from what I've read theres probably not all that much
that can be done against this exploit without changing the hardware.
I'll bet a fiver that they'll have to slowly migrate over to the newer
cards using 3DES for Oyster in the coming years.

B2003

Isn't it an immutable law that anything designed by people can be cracked by
people - it's just a question of how long it takes!

MaxB

Old July 25th 08, 03:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 25, 8:16 am, "dB" wrote:

The Oyster system used on London's transport network has broken down two
weeks after another fault left 40,000 customers with corrupted cards.

The latest problem has affected pay as you go Oystercards on the Tube
network.

Barriers are being kept open at all stations until the problem has been
rectified, Transport for London (TfL) has confirmed.

According to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7525894.stm

The problem existed between 6am and 10am.

Interestingly, I travelled on London Midland (Watford Junction to
London Euston) using PAYG during this time. Both the touch in and
touch out appeared to work correctly and the machine at touch out
reported the correct fare.

I didn't notice anyone having any problems at Watford Junction. And
people seemed to be touching out normally at Euston judging by the
beeps - although as that was platform 16-18 it's possible that things
weren't actually working properly for everybody.

Tim.
Old July 25th 08, 03:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 25 Jul, 16:33, " wrote:
On Jul 25, 8:16 am, "dB" wrote:

[...]

Today I used Cannon Street NR, where the barriers were working and I
didn't see crowds of people with travelcards on Oyster waiting to be
let through. I am on paper at the moment, so I didn't test it with an
Oyster Travelcard.

Then I used the Underground from Bank, and found that the gates were
open and completely switched off at both ends.

Maybe they spotted the conditions for another corruption of everyone's
cards in time to switch off instead?

I haven't managed to exploit any of this yet, because I've been
covered by a travelcard both times the system was switched off.
Old July 25th 08, 04:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Jul, 16:47, MIG wrote:
Today I used Cannon Street NR, where the barriers were working and I
didn't see crowds of people with travelcards on Oyster waiting to be
let through. *I am on paper at the moment, so I didn't test it with an
Oyster Travelcard.

The problem was only affecting PAYG, which isn't available at Cannon
Street NR.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London