Old January 3rd 04, 02:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin May Robin May is offline

Default Congestion charging expansion plans: zone expansion.

"Redonda" wrote the following in:

Like Gordo I also live in E14 and our local Press has been warning
us for the last year that the CCZ could be extended eastwards at
least as far as the Blackwall Tunnel bringing one of the poorest
areas in the UK into the zone.

I agree that it would be total insanity to extend the zone into Tower
Hamlets. The Central London congestion charing zone has excellent
public transport and the average person doesn't really need to drive
there. Tower Hamlets has good public transport but it's not as good.
It's also got a lot more residents and a lot of those residents are
poor. Not to mention the fact that by creating a congestion charging
zone there, a lot of people could be cut off from driving to local
shops and may therefore have to drive longer distances to shops outside
the zone.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Enjoy the Routemaster while you still can.

"Handlebar catch and nipple."