Old January 5th 04, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Helen Deborah Vecht Helen Deborah Vecht is offline

Default Large Print Tube Map

"clive Coleman." typed

In message , John Rowland
writes
Hi all,

I just picked up a (2002) copy of this for the Aged P, and on opening
it I found that it is a large poster, the size of 3*3 A4 sheets! I know
it's supposed to be for people with bad eyes, but this is ridiculous!
When I gave it to her, she pointed out that it is too large to use en
route, so she would now have to plan tube journeys before she leaves hom

My eyesight is bad. Surely the answer is the correct glasses?

Many forms of poor vision cannot be further corrected by spectacles. Low
vision aids may help but can be bulky & cumbersome.

The problem is that the Tube map has many details on it that can only be
seen if magnified quite a bit. A standard Tube Map has lots of *really*
small print. The fold-out maps in the 'Out & About' guides are quite
large (more than 50x50cm) but still use fairly small (?6point?) print.
These are probably the largest that can easily be taken out on a trip.

I'm afraid forward planning might be the only way to go. If Aged P has
access to a computer and the Internet, having the maps needed in .pdf
(downloaded from the TfL website) form which can then be magnified &
displayed on the screen might help at home.

Of course that's no use when travelling though:-(

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.