Old January 21st 10, 09:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Martin Petrov[_2_] Martin Petrov[_2_] is offline

Default ELL Stock in Place

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:25:41 -0800, Mizter T wrote:

On Jan 21, 7:32Â*pm, eastender wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

And thanks for an alternative take on it from the Dalston
perspective! The Jubilee can be pretty heaving in the morning, so an
alternative route would be to change at Shadwell onto the DLR, though
its certainly not quite such a smooth interchange - as it's
out-of-station via the street! - and the DLR journey to Canary Wharf
would take longer. Despite the awkward interchange, the extended ELL
at Shadwell will offer a number of new journey opportunities.

I use City Airport quite a bit - eg going to Rotterdam next week - so
the change at Shadwell makes sense for me, although I sometimes drive
there (the car park though is now a staggering £72 for 29-48 hours -
far higher than business parking at Heathrow) I sometime park down
there at the weekends to take my kids for a ride on the DLR.

Though given the ultra-easy interchange at Canning Town from Jubbly to
DLR, one could well argue that ELL - Jubilee - DLR might still be
easiest for those with cumbersome luggage. They'd all have to be
working, of course - particularly problematic for the Jubilee at
weekends as we all know. But going via the Shadwell might mean one less
change if the DLR service was going all the way.

(Plus the DLR being overground gives one more of an opportunity for any
last minute pre-flight mobile communications.)

The bus though does have advantages - the 277 stops right outside my
wife's office. But if the traffic's snarled round the tunnel in the
evening rush hour, it can be a nightmare journey back home.

It's generally ok on the way in then?

Bus in, then rail home would of course work as a cheaper way of taking
advantage of both modes.

As a veteran of the Hackney to Canary Wharf journey, I actually found the
NLL from Hackney Central (or Dalston) to Stratford followed by Jub-Jub to
Canary Wharf to be arguably the best/quickest option. You can usually get
a seat at Hackney Central, or at worst, when all the staff for the
hospital get off at Homerton, and then you're pretty certain of a seat at
Stratford on the Jubilee. If was hanging around late at work, the 277 was
usually my preference for getting home as the roads might be quieter at
7-7:30pm....