Old February 4th 10, 11:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default ELL Again

`
On Feb 4, 11:01*pm, MIG wrote:

On 4 Feb, 22:58, MIG wrote:

On 4 Feb, 22:16, Mizter T wrote:

On Feb 4, 7:00*pm, MIG wrote:
[snip query re New Cross]
It is a bay platform, and I think any platform in that location always
must have been (Peter Masson will know better). *It's New Cross Gate
that had a through platform effectively used as a bay due to the
limits of electrification.

It wasn't just because of the limits of [LU fourth rail]
electrification, it was the limits of the track too - i.e. there
wasn't any track that connected the ELL with the Southern network, not
in recent years at least - see Clive Feather's photo he
http://www.davros.org/rail/photos/p002.html

Obviously this has changed once again in the past year, and the
connection has once again been restored.

There has obviously been a period in between when the line has been
blocked off. *I suspect that it may have happened during that long
closure of the ELL, but that's only a guess.

The track was definitely not blocked up to some point in the 1980s,
after which I have a bit of a blank. *Up till then it was definitely
one of the places where there was a connection between BR and LU,
although I don't know if it was used.

PS I meant that long closure in the 1990s when they did the tunnels
and so on, not the ongoing one.

Understood. Dunno when the connection was severed. I'm sure someone
knows!