Old February 6th 10, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default London Travelwatch on OEPs

On 5 Feb, 23:48, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 14:38:17 -0800 (PST), MIG

wrote:
On 5 Feb, 17:22, Mizter T wrote:
Ok, Forest Hill (z3) to East Croydon (z5) - pax holds a z1-3
Travelcard for their commute into town (train to London Bridge then
Tube), but they want to go to Croydon to do some shopping.

Westcombe Park (z3) to Charing Cross (z1) - pax holds a z2&3
Travelcard for their commute to Canary Wharf (train and DLR), but they
want to head into town.

Putney (z2/3) to Richmond (z4) - pax holds a z1&2 Travelcard for their
commute into town (train to Waterloo then W&C line into the City), but
they want to go and have a walk and drink by the river.

I could go on, and on, and on, but I won't! There are a gazillion
examples.

Ang on; aren't those just examples where they'd be on PAYG for the
whole journey?

Eh? *In every example that Mizter T as outlined you commence in your
Travelcard zones, are using a NR service, and arrive at an out of zonal
validity destination on a NR service. *That means an OEP is needed. *On
the return leg where you commence outside the zones then an OEP is *not*
required.

You are right, and I realised afterwards, that in Mizter T's examples
you'd be touching in at a boundary station where the travelcard was
valid.

My focus was on the fact that it wouldn't be necessary to be doing
something like that for the journey to start at an NR station. Unless
the journey involved a change somewhere like Stratford or Barking,
you'd nearly always be starting the OEP-needing journey at an NR
station.

The typical situation is you've got zone 1 - 2 and get on at Charing
Cross heading for Slade Green. *You need the OEP if gripped between
Greenwich and Slade Green.

The journey begins at Charing Cross, which is an NR station.

And that example is no different to those used by Mizter T except you're
starting in Zone 1.

I think I need to set my little Oyster on NR quiz!
--
Paul C- Hide quoted text -