Old February 16th 10, 02:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default LM penalty fares scheme: New Oyster Bizarrity

On Feb 16, 10:34*am, MIG wrote:
[snip]
Funny it should happen now, but there was actually a group of RP staff
on an LM train I was on, although my experience is of guards doing
checks.

I butted into a conversation because I mistakenly thought there was a
case of OEPs being enforced, and my curiosity got the better of me.

It turned out that a punter who was travelling from Euston to Watford
on a zone 1 - 9 travelcard season stored on Oyster was being told that
he was technically without a valid ticket because it hadn't registered
a touch at Euston. *(He wasn't actually PFed or anything.)

I was doing something similar on a paper season, which was accepted
instantly.

The RP said that it had always been a rule that you had to touch in on
NR and said something about Oyster being a "different product". *He
said that if you didn't touch in, there was no way of proving where
you started your journey. *I said that with my paper travelcard I had
no way of proving anything either. *He sort of agreed and shrugged.

I said, but what if you had a season on Oyster and were coming into
the zones from elsewhere? *He said that the train has to stop there
and you have to touch in.

I directed him to sections 9 and 19 of the NRCoC (19 about combination
of tickets, where one of them is a season and 9 about electronic
tickets having exactly the same validity as paper tickets).

In this case, I am so sure that he was wrong, and possibly confused by
the whole OEP issue, that I am not going to bang on about Oyster
having rules just for the sake of being able to get you for breaking
the rules. *Oyster cannot change the NRCoC.

So this must be a case of LM either making up its own rules or having
staff training issues. *No one was actually PFed in this case, but if
that's the rule that LM staff are applying, then I guess they could be.

I've only just digested the above post and properly noticed the
*crucial* bit - that's where the RPI says a passenger combining a
paper ticket from outside the zones with a Travelcard loaded on Oyster
would have to get off the train and touch-in there. He was of course
*completely wrong*, as you quite rightly point out.