Old March 16th 10, 09:23 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Class 378s stabled at Euston

Mizter T wrote:
On Mar 15, 8:23 pm, Dominic wrote:
I often see London Overground Class 378s stabled in the sidings
between platforms 15 and 16 at Euston. Do these Class 378s simply
travel to Euston from Willesden because the depot is short of space,
or are these units doing test running? I did not notice until today
that these sidings do not have platforms.
Thanks, Dominic

It's all for night-time test running purposes - more specifically, for
the accumulation of fault-free mileage before they go into full
passenger service. I'll leave it to others more expert than I to
correct most of what I've said...!

With the full LO fleet in use Euston is required as part of the normal
overnight stabling plan anyway, for 4 units.

It is expected that NLL and DC line units will be outberthed at Stratford
(station and Orient Way), Euston, and Watford Junction.

There is an analysis of the berthing requirements on the ORR website,
basically there have to be outststations used, because there isn't enough
time time at the end of one day's timetable for all the units to get back to
Willesden, be maintained, and then get out to the next morning's start
points.

Paul S