Old April 10th 10, 08:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default "10-Car" South Central

D7666 wrote:

But surely not all SWT will automatically be 10car ?

I think its right to say all routes will be 10car capable, but this
does not imply all trains all day have to be 10car, there will still
be 8car even 4car trains that won't need 456s.

Of course, all this may result in 6car trains as well ... where a
10car splits into 4 + 6.

I'm not at all sure - SWT are keeping very quiet aren't they, indeed if you
relied on their announcements you'd assume nothing was happening.

The NR enhancement plan (another revised edition issued last week) clearly
shows every SWT 'inner suburban' route as being operated by 10 car trains by
2014. If 'operated by 10 car trains', means throughout the morning and
evening peaks, and running in both directions for the 3 hours, that's a lot
of extra carriages - 140 is the number shown. If as I suspect around 85 455s
are in use during the peaks, there's surely 85 extra '455 compatible'
carriages needed?

Paul S