Old May 27th 10, 06:03 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default "Crossrail budget may be slashed by a third"

E27002 wrote on 27 May 2010 16:19:42 ...
On May 27, 7:40 am, Mizter wrote:
[x-posted to misc.transport.urban-transit]
[x-posted to uk.transport.london]

On May 27, 3:23 pm, wrote:

Slasher Hammond to strike again?

From
http://www.building.co.uk/crossrail-...ed-by-a-third/...

Central London station and two spurs face the axe as project team
works to cut £5bn from budget

[snip]

If cuts that deep are really on the cards, then as Steven Norris says,
they might as well not bother.

True, but that would be tragic. IMHO, this is one infrastructure
project that should go ahead.

As well as running the "£5bn Crossrail cuts" story today, the London
Evening Standard also carries a report of an interview with Philip
Hammond, the new Transport Secretary, which includes this:

"London's long-delayed, £16 billion, east-west link railway will be
finished but every mile of track and every station is being scrutinised
for savings. “It's under way and we are committed to it,” said Mr
Hammond. “But it has to be tested and re-tested at every stage to ensure
it is delivering value for money.” Canary Wharf station had been
redesigned to reduce costs and the project should look for similar
opportunities. “I want to be sure we have asked if there is anything
that was designed in the days when we thought money grew on trees that
we can look at again in the post-Labour world. We owe this to
hard-working families.”

That sounds rather less drastic than had been feared, but we'll have to
wait and see, I guess.
--
Richard J.