Old October 19th 10, 10:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

Default No NR Oyster Capping: Have I Been in a Cave?

On 19 Oct, 19:24, TRAXX F140 wrote:
I worry that initially at least the fact that you've part paid the PF might
mean that 'they' (i.e. the TOC) consider you've accepted the PF and hence
cannot then appeal, I dunno about that though.

I've been on the receiving end of a penalty fare due to an Oyster Card
irregularly on NXEA, I got a £20 penalty fare from an arse of an RPI
at Liverpool Street who was convinced that I was trying to wangle my
way out of paying the fare and kept convincing me that my explanation
for an invalid journey on my Oyster Card won’t be accepted by the
appeal. I paid about £3 just to get this knob out my face but if your
appeal is successful you won’t get a refund on what you already paid
I’m afraid.

I bluddy will. I will not let that drop. I was not liable for a
penny.

If it was my fault, I get charged a penalty. Why the hell should I
just laugh off £2.40 when the TOC wouldn't laugh off 30p? They should
be paying me a Penalty Refund (© me).

I appealed online to IRCAS with a report of the situation and
approximately 10 days later I received a very nice letter from them
informing me that my appeal has been successful and that I was within
legit circumstances when I was issued the penalty fare. I e-mailed my
details and evidence and even went as far as quoting the Penalty Fares
Rules 2002 in my appeal.

I took the letter from IRCAS with me everyday in hope that I’d see the
RPI on my travels and about two months later my patience was rewarded
and we met again, when he asked for my ticket I pulled out my IRCAS
letter and handed it to him and smirked “remember me?” to his face.
Even to his day I still see him and he refuses to look me in the face
and apologise. ******.

Most RPIs just want to scare you in to submission, a majority of them
are ****s who think they're god because they have the slightest ounce
of authority and they see the likes of passengers as extra commission
in their pockets.

I’ve found that the appeals committees will happily drop a penalty
fare if you can prove you didn’t intentionally travel with a mentality
to evading the fare.

Your life won't be ****ed up by this, appeal and laugh it off.