Old December 22nd 10, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Google Maps amusement

"Basil Jet" wrote in message

A couple of London neighbourhoods I'm not familiar with... just north
of Shepherds Bush we have "White Stadt", and just east of Mayfair we
have "The May Fair".

Probably a misplaced label on The May Fair hotel
(www.themayfairhotel.co.uk).

Historically, I think May Fair is the correct name for what we now call
the Mayfair area, being named after the bawdy (condemned by the
authorities for its "lewd and disorderly practices") annual event held
for 78 years from from 1686 on Brook Field, today's Shepherd Market.
See http://www.wetherell.co.uk/mayfair-l...airs-heritage/