Old September 7th 11, 04:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David Walters David Walters is offline

Default Changing from NR to Northern Line at Moorgate

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 08:43:59 -0700 (PDT), Tristán White wrote:
Can someone tell journeyplanner.org and all the other websites, apps,
etc etc, that if you want to go from Bowes Park to London Bridge, it's
a hell of a lot easier to change at Moorgate (down one tiny escalator
- about 20 seconds all in) than at Old Street (which takes about 3
minutes).

Everywhere recommends changing at Old Street, which I cannot
understand. Moorgate is so much easier.

Old Street to Moorgate on First Capital Connect is timetabled at 5
minutes. Old Street to Moorgate on the Northern line is timetabled at 1
minute. Even with the longer change at Old Street changing there is on
paper quicker.

Incidentally, when using PAYG, there's a yellow touchpad at the top of
the escalator. I have an annual so this doesn't concern me personally,
but merely out of curiosity, if a PAYG user did not touch that pad
with one's Oyster while making the transfer, could he or she be
charged for any non-starting or non-ending journeys? What with Bowes
Park being a National Rail PAYG fare-station rather than a TfL PAYG
fare-station.

PAYG users can ignore those touchpads and I do. I assume they are of
value to people that hold a National Rail only ticket that want to
continue their journey on the Underground.

(I know that TfL have just announced the getting rid of the £4
overcharge for when people forget to touch in or touch out - but if I
understand it correctly, this is only for when the system spots a
regular journey. And I guess it won't apply in the case of the NR PAYG
journeys either, though I haven't read confirmation of that, yet.)

I think it is only for missed touch outs, not missed touch ins.

David