Old October 24th 11, 01:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Tube Plan To Axe 1,500 Jobs And Close All But 30 Ticket Offices

In message
, at
06:10:54 on Mon, 24 Oct 2011, David F remarked:
I don't mean this facetiously, but what skills does a train driver
need? I was always under the impression that they just pressed "go"
and the train went to the next station, where they pressed the door
open/close button a couple of times.

Is there skill to driving a train? Or, is it more a case of being
equipped and qualified to deal with emergencies?

It depends on the line. Many of them still need drivers who decide what
speed to go, when to pass signals, and where to stop.

Ironically (unless it's been automated now) the "where to stop" seems to
be most crucial at stations like on the Jubilee with PEDs.