Old October 24th 11, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Tube Plan To Axe 1,500 Jobs And Close All But 30 Ticket Offices

"David F" wrote in message

On Oct 24, 2:54 pm, "Recliner" wrote:
"David F" wrote in message

Remember that most LU lines still have manually driven trains, so
they probably do need genuine skills and route knowledge. I gather
the training takes several months, so it's not trivial, but hardly
comparable to the training and experience required by an airline
pilot (who starts on less money than a Tube driver). As they do need
to have line knowledge, you can't just take a driver from one line
to another without additional training; I don't know how much of
this would be needed with fully automatic trains.

I've always thought that a bus driver has a harder job than a train
driver. Learning the 'route' has to be harder.

I agree. They have to manoeuvre through traffic without any sort of
automation, remember the route and which stops apply, take the fares,
watch out for unruly pax, etc -- much more than a Tube driver. And they
earn much less.