Old October 26th 11, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default Tube Plan To Axe 1,500 Jobs And Close All But 30 Ticket Offices

Richard wrote on 26 October 2011 20:11:56 ...
On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 20:17:45 +0100, "Richard J."
wrote:

Yes, but converting an existing system is certainly not impossible. The
RATP in Paris are doing just that with Métro line 1 at present, having
installed platform-edge doors at all stations. Currently it works with
ATO like the Central/Victoria/Jubilee lines in London. Note that Paris
retrofitted ATO to most lines starting in the 1970s. Some of the
converted 1959-vintage stock is still running.

Unfortunately! I suppose they are the most "Paris" of all the stock.

Indeed, and the sheer exuberance of the old rubber-tyred stock on, say,
line 11 is still exciting in a way that only the 92 stock on the Central
Line gets close to.

It seems odd that the prototype automation in the 50s relied on
photo-electric cells and bits of metal screwed to the track. I think
Barcelona's trials had similar technology. They must both be on their
3rd generation of ATO now at least. Perhaps LT benefited from waiting
a few years to invent something more flexible.

Barcelona was the first ATO in full public service (1963) according to
Wikipedia. London and Paris developed ATO at about the same time, but
the pity is that London DIDN'T benefit from it except for the Victoria
line for 30 years, whereas Paris rolled out the system to 12 lines by 1979.
--
Richard J.