Old August 25th 12, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default Drivers telling passengers to use the emergency buttons...

wrote on 25 August 2012
11:03:59 ...
On 25/08/2012 10:04, Ernesto wrote:
Hi all,

I've seen this increase over the past few months - drivers unwilling to
open their doors between stops, but instead telling passengers they can
press the emergency door control button themselves to alight from the bus.

Anyone else seen this? Thoughts???

E.

I've seen this. I think that this is because they are not allowed to
open the doors between stops, yet they are well aware that a traffic
queue makes it unrealistic for passengers to wait until the bus reaches
the stop, which might be only a few metres away.

On a couple of bus journeys of mine recently, the driver has opened the
front door and allowed people to leave by it. I guess this is safer, as
he would have a better view of any approaching cyclists there, and would
be closer to exiting passengers to warn them. Maybe also that door is
not covered by CCTV?
--
Richard J.