Old September 6th 12, 10:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.driving
Bod Bod is offline

Default North circ water main burst

On 06/09/2012 10:00, d wrote:
On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 08:48:23 +0000 (UTC)
Nick Leverton wrote:
In article , wrote:
Drove past what looked like a bomb crater this morning. I've never seen such
a big hole in a major road before that wasn't part of some planned works.
It was the diameter of a tipper truck judging by one parked next to it.

I heard on the news that they might have to replace the tarmac on some of the
rest of the road. Why? It can cope with heavy rain so whats different about
mains water?

It comes up from under the ground instead of down from above ?

Maybe, but if it had done that you would expect to see the tarmac already
lifted off and the whole road closed.

B2003

The power and volume of the burst has probably undermined and weakened
the tarmac further along the road.