Old April 8th 04, 05:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Disabled 'to sue for Tube access'

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 07:17:38 +0100, "John Rowland"

London Underground (LU) has been warned that it could be sued by disabled
people if it does not improve access for them by October.
By then the part of the Disability Discrimination Act which governs access
to transport will come into force.

All jolly interesting but someone should check the article and look at
the grounds for being able to sue. If the organisation has plans in
place - and LUL does and has had a policy in place for years - then they
cannot be successfully sued. While I accept such access is important the
legislators did recognise that none of these improvements can be
delivered overnight or at the cost of other vital expenditure - like
replacing worn out track, trains and signals.

The improvements to the bus network that have been funded by TfL provide
good access to those who are mobility impaired and is an adequate
alternative until such time as LUL is properly funded to allow for the
huge works that are needed to rectify the problems inherent in a network
as old as the Underground.

And before anyone jumps down my throat these remarks are mine and not
those of LUL.
--
Paul C