Old April 8th 04, 05:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David Splett David Splett is offline

Default Disabled 'to sue for Tube access'

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message

In article ,
(Farlie A) wrote:
Additonaly as I understand it correctly the former lift shafts at
some stations aren't actually street-platform level in any event.

Most if not all of the original lifts, I thought.

In addition to this, some of the lift shafts were "cut" by the building of
escalator shafts - either by the escalator shaft physically passing through
the site of the lift shaft (for example at Charing Cross (Northern)), or by
the escalator shaft coming down into the space formerly occupied by the lift
landings (e.g. Tottenham Court Road (Central), Holborn (Picc)).
Re-installing lifts in the original shafts at these locations would be
impossible.

A further problem is that many of the former lift shafts have been converted
to ventilation shafts. Curing one problem might create another.