Old April 9th 04, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Stephen Furley Stephen Furley is offline

Default New York's PATH meeting this Wednesday

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message

Are you sure that's the whole line? Various underwater tunnels in the
New York area are the "name Tubes", so the "Hudson Tubes" would
logically be the WTC branch with some other name for the 33rd Street
branch.

I think so; when I was there the World Trade Center line was closed, so I
have only been on the 33rd street one, therefore the tiled signs I have seen
pointing to the 'Hudson Tubes' must have been on that line. I think one is
at 33rd street.

When I was first there, in April 2002, Path seemed to have made every
possible effort to remove all possible effort to remove all evidence of the
WTC line. There was no 'closed for reconstruction' to be seen anywhere.
there are a few cast metal route diagrams which had not been removed or
covered, but I had not seen these. When I heard of the WTC station I
assumed it was served by a branch heading South from somewhere near
Christopher Street, but I could see no sign of a junction there. It was
only when I returned six months later that I discovered that the WTC line
had its own tunnels under the Hudson, and the junctions were clearly
visible, if I had been looking for them in the right place. The Path
station at Exchange place was still there of course, and I think can be seen
from a passing Hudson-Bergen train, but I had not noticed it the first time.