Old September 25th 13, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Tube Security Project

freddie91 wrote:
I am an undergrad at the University of Edinburgh conducting a Geography
Dissertation looking into how Security features (post 7/7/2005 attacks)
have affected people's use, perception and experience of the Tube. I
will also be asking participants whether armed police or the military in
stations would make them feel safer.

I am looking for people willing to partake in Go-Along Interviews - I
will accompany you on a journey you regularly take, a commute etc. These
interviews will be recorded and occur between either the 16-20th October
or 20-24 November. This should not add more than 5 mins to your commute
and I will be willing to undertake them at the time of your usual
journey.

All participants will be anonymous and a copy of my final report will be
provided.

Please could anyone interested please post below.

Obviously you're free to research this, but other than the disappearance of
rubbish bins (long ago, during the IRA campaigns), the possibly enhanced
security has no effect on passenger journeys. Yes, there are more cameras,
but that's true everywhere in London and other cities, but that's about it.
There aren't any security checkpoints, armed police, etc.

I hardly ever see even BTP officers, and certainly no more than in the
past, except in mainline termini. I don't know anyone who's more afraid of
travelling by Tube now than a decade ago: those who are claustrophobic
avoid it, just as they always did, and lots of people dislike travelling on
hot, overcrowded rush-hour Tubes, just as they always did.

As an aside, the bans on smoking and drinking on the Tube are
well-observed, despite the relative lack of visible security, so late night
travelling is more pleasant than it used to be. Public transport in London
is remarkably good: my journey home this evening involved four LU trains
and a bus, and I didn't have to wait even one minute for any of them. All
of them were clean and all the passengers were well-behaved and
cooperative.