Old April 20th 04, 04:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Dominic Dominic is offline

Default Modern DC EMUs

"Roger H. Bennett" wrote in message ...
"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
Absolutely. The shortest formation for a CEP unit is 2-CEP (both driving
vehicles, which have cabs, pick-up shoes and are motored), whilst the
shortest formation for a CIG or VEP is 3-CIG/3-VEP, for the reasons that

you
give (driving trailers and a centre motored vehicle).

I don't know how it affects specific units, but the other thing nobody has
mentioned is the compressor and air reservoirs. If those aren't on the
driving vehicle, it's going nowhere, even with shoes, motors and a cab.

Roger

That's a good point, and it applies to batteries too. This
distribution of compressors and batteries is certainly commonplace on
London Underground trains. I heard that in the Camden Town derailment
the driving motor car which became detached and hit a wall was left
totally unlit because it had no batteries.

Thanks,

Dominic