Old October 22nd 14, 06:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default October half-term - 50% off all SWT off-peak day returns!

In message , at 22:16:00 on Tue, 21 Oct
2014, roger remarked:
And a minor rant because one of my old schools doesn't have half-term that
week but instead this one. And the others my sister, my neighbours and I
variously went to have a fortnight this week and next. Though as we all left
school in the 1990s (and I only know the term dates from mini-research on
why letting schools set their own is a bad thing for any family with any
connection to more than one school - in my day things were even worse) it
doesn't actually matter to any of us now.

But would a parent whose children have the wrong week off have any legal
basis for a discrimination complaint? And would the outcome be different for
those off in the wrong week vs those with a fortnight that does cover the
week of the offer?

My friend has children off both this week and next. And to add insult
to injury neither school would let their children have the week off for
a holiday. There is a huge difference over Christmas and the weeks are
different again in February.

It has got very stupid and something has to give.

Be happy that schools haven't introduced even bigger differences, such
as 5-term years. This proposal was eventually rejected (although they
also have two weeks off currently, for whatever reason, while
Nottingham*shire* has just next week):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-16627679