Old January 16th 16, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default More on the Holborn standing escalator trial

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2016\01\16 19:37, Peter Smyth wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

On 2016\01\16 18:56, Peter Able wrote:
On 16/01/2016 10:23, Recliner wrote:
There was a recent long thread here on the trial at Holborn of
standing on
both sides of the escalator. Apparently the trial was more
successful than
predicted and they're pondering whether and how to escalate it:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...the-escalators

Classic Guardian - 98% pseudy-guff, 3% information.

Thanks for the link - and good pun too

PA

Okay, now I understand it. Few people use the walking side, so
telling would-be standees that they have to stand on the right
practically halves the capacity. But when the escalators are quiet
it's quicker to allow people to walk, so I hope standing on both
sides becomes a peak hour rule rather than an all-day one.

The article says one escalator will remain as normal, so if there are
two up escalators, you would have three of the four sides for standing,
while still leaving one side free for walking.

That'll never work. Maybe if they made the walking side red-hot.

As the article says, they'd use a colour code on the steps and moving
armrest to indicate a non-walking up escalator. But it would take a lot of
public education to get it to work.