Old March 11th 16, 10:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] spud@potato.field is offline

Default New Holborn standing escalator trial

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 11:00:42 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:43:02 on Fri, 11 Mar
2016, d remarked:
Not as much as they'll have been delayed standing all the way up the long
escalator at Holborn.

TfL's stats would claim otherwise.

I'm sure they would, but I wouldn't believe them. The *average* speed of
everyone going up no doubt will be faster. But for those of us who arn't
bone idle lard butts it'll almost certainly be slower. Holborn is a long
escalator and there's no way the wait at the bottom can ever be long enough
to make up for standing all the way to the top.

How much delay do you think is involved (by having the stand)? When it's

IIRC it takes probably 45 secs to a minute to get to the top by standing at
Holborn compared to maybe 20 seconds by unimpeded walking on the left.
Perhaps someone who uses the station and is bored one day could measure it
for us

busy the walking lane doesn't necessary flow very well, and I'd expect
we are talking about getting a couple of dozen steps advantage. So
around ten seconds. It's easily possible to queue that long at the
bottom of a crowded escalator (as I did at Baker Street Jubilee Line to
Met escalator last week in the evening rush hour).

Ten seconds sounds about right, maybe even a bit longer.

Anyway, I don't blame them for doing this. That station gets very crowded
and they need the throughput. Just saying that for people who normally walk
up it will almost certainly be slower despite what they say. If just for once
they were honest something instead of constant spin they'd get more respect.

--
Spud