Old May 13th 04, 09:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default £1 flat fare tube

Annabel Smyth wrote:

On Thu, 13 May 2004 at 22:00:43, Dave Arquati wrote:

- and 24-hour LU and train services (where maintenance is presumably
carried out by pixies)

Definitely dreaming.... but what I have always wondered is how does New
York manage to run a 24-hour service, or is this because they can often
re-route trains if they want to close a section of line (very muddling
for visitors!), which we can't do in London?

Because some New York lines have four tracks (for fast/slow trains) of
which one pair can be used for all services at night. So theoretically
engineering on Finchley Road - Wembley Park or Barons Court - Acton Town
needn't close the line (although I'm sure the HSE would disagree).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7