Old September 2nd 16, 01:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Abbey Wood, latest pictures

I popped along to Abbey Wood yesterday, the future Crossrail terminus.
It's moved along quite a bit since my last visit, with both of the
third rail tracks now in their final positions, and quite a bit of
Crossrail track in place near the portal, so here's a few of my
pictures for people who don't frequent the North Kent line:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57670104050133

I must admit I don't understand why Crossrail and the North Kent line
have separate island platforms, rather than having the Crossrail pair
between the third rail tracks, thus allowing cross-platform
interchanges. The down third rail track could have been re-routed to
the north of the portal, so that it was on the north, rather than the
south of the new Crossrail pair. With that arrangement, both down
tracks would flank one island platform, and both up platforms the
other. It would save a lot of passengers the hassle of having to cross
from island platform to the other.