Old May 26th 17, 06:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Charles Ellson[_2_] Charles Ellson[_2_] is offline

Default New London & The South East (London Connection) map

On Fri, 26 May 2017 13:36:20 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

The cover is lilac.

Where are they dishing these out ? The only ones I usually see are the
posters in Underground stations and the online versions on the TfL
website.

The only differences I've spotted are obeli added to various Waterloo
served stations, and Cambridge North. There is no indication that there
are hardly any trains serving both Cambridge North and Waterbeach, which
somewhat defeats the point of a map at all.

Not exactly a "London Connection".

I just noticed that the Thames is on the wrong place on the front cover,
showing a swathe of London south of the Thames from Hampton Court to
Staines... presumably it's been like that for years? Also, the map used
to go to Exeter, but it now cuts off at Yeovil. A quick rummage tells me
that the change was some time after 2006. I wonder why. The 2006 map
seems clearer on both sides, even if its insistence on showing the
Cotswold line all the way to Hereford but cutting off the GWML before
Swindon years after NSE ceased to exist seemed a little brain-damaged.

I'm wondering why there seems to be no similar map for any other part of
the country.

ISTR there are but possibly only online so you have to do your own
printing and folding.

Is ATOC or whatever it's called now legally obliged to make
such a map for (most of) the former Network SouthEast area, but legally
allowed to ignore the provinces? The only other half decent map I've
found is the one GWR produce of their territory, with an overview of
Britain on the back.

Like other things, they are to some extent continuing what went on in
BR days. Back then you were into "here be dragons" territory a couple
of yards past the GL boundary and transport information wasn't
promoted in the way that UG/LPTB/LT/etc. had been doing it for years.

---
http://www.avg.com