Old May 28th 17, 08:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default BA IT collapse -- what effect on ttains?

Scott wrote:
On Sun, 28 May 2017 18:32:08 +0100, e27002 aurora
wrote:

On Sat, 27 May 2017 19:15:25 +0100, "
wrote:

On 27.05.17 16:26, Recliner wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/27/british-airways-chaos-computer-systems-crash-across-world-causing/

I'm certainly glad I wasn't flying today! All was smooth when I flew out
from Heathrow on Wednesday, and I hope it will be back to normal on Friday.
But I wonder what effect it's had on trains serving Heathrow and Gatwick?

Possibly longer dwell times at Gatwick Airport as people turn back home
when they either give up or realise that they are not going to fly out
today? This might have a knock-on effect on schedules into and out of
London.

I think that the effects would be as bad at Heathrow as Piccadilly Line
trains have extended dwell times at all the stations, IIRC. The same
goes for HEX trains, yes?

So cheap offshore IT work has gone well for BA? :-)

Are they not claiming it's a power supply issue? Is the hardware
offshore as well?

That's why it's not wise to make precise accusations at this stage. Of
course, any professional data centre shouldn't collapse for most of a day
if there's a power supply problem. It should have UPS and ample backup
power, plus, perhaps duplicated grid connections.

But whatever the fault, it probably is a consequence of excessive
cost-cutting. And I bet the money saved is dwarfed by the estimated £150m
cost of this fiasco. I think señor Cruz has done more than enough damage to
BA, and it's time the cost of his job was saved.