Old June 4th 17, 09:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default London bus maps to end?

On Saturday, 3 June 2017 18:02:56 UTC+1, Clive Page wrote:
By chance I read a copy of the Evening Standard last week where a
reader's letter lamented the fact that TfL were no longer printing bus
maps. Can this be true? I can't see anything about it on the TfL web
site, and if it's been mentioned here that has also passed me by.

It seems a serious mistake - finding the right bus number to take
without a map of them is going to be hard. The various mobile phone
apps are, in my experience, not an adequate substitute.

I understand the paper Central London and Quadrant maps have ceased production. There is a mention in Buses magazine about this. I have also been reliably informed that the contract with FWT has been terminated. Quite where that leaves TfL's ability to update *online* versions of these maps is anyone's guess. Given that spider map updating is now pretty poor and much delayed I am a tad sceptical that online maps will keep pace with changes.

I agree with you that this is stupidity on a grand scale but then we should hardly be surprised. It is all too easy to make "efficiency" just equal "spending cuts". I am sceptical that the online versions will remain on TfL's site so I have already saved pdf versions as a contingency.

As we can expect to see substantial and ongoing change to parts of the bus network it is likely that many spider and online maps will become very out of date by the end of 2018.

--
Paul C
via Google