Old July 6th 17, 06:33 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default Inside the Vivarail D-Train

Jan-Martin Hertzsch wrote:
On 07/04/2017 04:17 PM, Someone Somewhere wrote:

... D stock could be quite bouncy ...

It's been a long time since I last rode the Underground,
and even longer since I travelled on D stock, but I'd
attribute the bumpiness of the ride less to the trains,
but more to the track. I mean, it is very, very busy and
therefore wears out rather quickly, in particular around
points. Also, the D stock is lighter than the A and C stock.

The S stock certainly rides a lot better than the D stock on exactly the
same track. I think one other issue with the D stock is the longer car
length, meaning the car ends have a lively ride.

Perhaps, with the added weight due to the new components,
and the less demanding timetables on overland routes, the
rebuilt trains will run more smoothly.

That may well be so. However, D-trains are much likely to be travelling at
cruising speed than the frequently-stopping D78s did.