Old August 26th 17, 10:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default SWT & NR - from deep alliance to deep something else

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 16:46:23 on Fri, 25
Aug 2017, Michael R N Dolbear remarked:

"Roland Perry" wrote

Are the discounts only on Oyster off-peak fares? I think they would
be all the same in that case.

Network cards are strictly "after 10am", whereas the Senior Railcard is

"off-peak {may vary locally}"[1], and the F&F/TTG/Disabled Railcard is
"After 9.30am".

Even TfL admits: "The savings are slightly different for each card."

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...cessions/railc
ards

But how do they know, if all railcards are coded the same??

[1] For TfL fares their blanket off-peak is *depart* after 9.30, but

for National Rail the senior off-peak is *arrive* after 10am.
==
This isn't a Railcard matter but an off-peak matter - if you use Oyster
on NR I assume depart after 9:30 still applies?

Network cards should not allowed for Oyster discount

This got garbled somehow. Network cards are not relevant to Oyster because
they can't give rise to discount entitlements on Oyster.

It seems TTG is the same, with discounted (paper) Day Travelcards the only
option to obtain Railcard discounts. That means no discounts for many
journey combinations which even without discounts cost less than a Day
Travelcard.

Why not, if you are using Oyster to make an NR journey (I've
travelled Vauxhall to Waterloo on SWT before now).

Not sure what this means with my response corrected.

and F&F/TTG logically can't do it.

I'd forgotten that one-Oyster per bum gotcha.

The difference is whether the children are under 11 or not. under 11 they go
free. For accompanied 11-15 year-olds only travelling occasionally from
Cambridge the best option seems to be the poorly advertised £2 child Day
Travelcard. I must admit I've not tried adding F&F to more than one Oyster
card though.

"Holders of Disabled Persons Railcards can also get discounted travel during
peak hours"

I wonder how that works if the Railcard flag doesn't distinguish railcard
types? Maybe that statement is meant only to apply to Day Travelcards.

--
Colin Rosenstiel