Old September 2nd 17, 06:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Edinburgh Gateway flop

In message , at 07:46:01 on Sat, 2
Sep 2017, Martin Coffee remarked:
On 01/09/17 21:48, Roland Perry wrote:
In message ,
at 08:00:43 on Fri, 1 Sep 2017, R. Mark Clayton
remarked:
It's difficult to think there was a very similar reason since the buses
have been OPO/DOO/whathaveyou for years.

Yes but Edinburgh's won't give change - I saw a foreign tourist put off
because he only had a note.

A tourist I met today claimed that the TfL ticket machines at
Heathrow accepted neither the new £1 nor the new £5. The latter
surprises me more. But he has a plausible account of the conversation
with the roaming helper. I think the solution was for the helper to
manually give old £1s as change for the new fiver.

My local ATW ticket machines

Are they installed at Heathrow?

are chip and pin only so I cannot comment on that.

However out of the six vending machines I have access to 5 are new £1s
only and 1 is new £1s only. The organisations concerned are recycling
old £1s and tell me they will continue to do so after they are
withdrawn as they will not be modified by then.

My local ATW ticket machine on Cogan station post dates wave and pay
but even after being modified a couple of months ago was not modified
for wave and pay.